Borrowing Patterns for Small Firms: A Comparison by Race and Ethnicity
This article explores the use of debt capital by small firms using data from the 1998 Survey of Small Business Finances. An examination of the data reveals differences in the characteristics and borrowing experience of small firms by race and ethnicity. Results indicate that although minority firm owners were just as likely to apply for loans, they were significantly less likely to be approved for them. Further, black small business owners were less likely to even bother applying for a loan, because they assumed they would be denied. These findings have implications for the ability of minority small business owners to grow their firms and contribute to the economic well-being of their communities.
Volume (Year): 7 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cavalluzzo, Ken S & Cavalluzzo, Linda C, 1998. "Market Structure and Discrimination: The Case of Small Businesses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 771-92, November.
- Frederick C. Scherr & Timothy F. Sugrue & Janice B. Ward, 1993. "Financing the Small Firm Start-Up: Determinants of Debt Use," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 3(1), pages 17-36 , Fall.
- James S. Ang, 1991. "Small Business Uniqueness and the Theory of Financial Management," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 1(1), pages 1-13 , Spring.
- Cohn, Richard A, et al, 1975. "Individual Investor Risk Aversion and Investment Portfolio Composition," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 605-20, May.
- Morin, Roger A & Fernandez Suarez, Antonio, 1983. " Risk Aversion Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1201-16, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:7:y:2002:i:3:p:77-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.