The Valuation Implications of Sales Growth in Start-up Ventures
We examine whether and how investors' reliance on financial information is affected by the rate of sales growth of a start-up venture. We find that investors discern between firms by the extent to which their products are adopted by the market. For firms that failed to increased their sales since IPO, investors preceive financial data as not providing relevant or predictive information for investment decision making. In contrast, investors seem to rely heavily on financial information provided by firms presenting a continuous increase in sales. We suggest that investors may perceive firms with a continuous increase (decrease) in sales as those that are (un)able to transfer through the technology adoption lifecycle and make the transition from an early market dominated by a few visionary customers to a mainstream market. Whereas prior studies relate changes in the value-relevance of financial statements to a firm's maturity, as measured on the basis of time (firm age), our findings indicate that the main factor affecting value-relevance is a firm's degree of market penetration.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu CA|
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amir, Eli & Lev, Baruch, 1996. "Value-relevance of nonfinancial information: The wireless communications industry," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 3-30, October.
- Core, John E. & Guay, Wayne R. & Buskirk, Andrew Van, 2003. "Market valuations in the New Economy: an investigation of what has changed," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-3), pages 43-67, January.
- Benston, George J., 2006. "Fair-value accounting: A cautionary tale from Enron," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 465-484.
- Gil Avnimelech & Morris Teubal, 2004. "Venture capital start-up co-evolution and the emergence & development of Israel's new high tech cluster," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 33-60.
- Lev, Baruch & Sougiannis, Theodore, 1996. "The capitalization, amortization, and value-relevance of R&D," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-138, February.
- repec:bla:joares:v:37:y:1999:i:2:p:353-385 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirschey, Mark & Richardson, Vernon J & Scholz, Susan, 2001. "Value Relevance of Nonfinancial Information: The Case of Patent Data," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 223-235, November.
- repec:bla:joares:v:29:y:1991:i:1:p:19-36 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gil Avnimelech & Morris Teubal, 2004. "Strength of Market Forces and the Successful Emergence of Israel's Venture Capital Industry. Insights from a Policy-Led Case of Structural Change," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(6), pages 1265-1300.
- Collins, Daniel W. & Maydew, Edward L. & Weiss, Ira S., 1997. "Changes in the value-relevance of earnings and book values over the past forty years," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-67, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Avnimelech, Gil & Teubal, Morris, 2006. "Creating venture capital industries that co-evolve with high tech: Insights from an extended industry life cycle perspective of the Israeli experience," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1477-1498, December.
- repec:bla:joares:v:37:y:1999:i:2:p:319-352 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:13:y:2009:i:2:p:1-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.