Medicion De La Eficiencia Bancaria En Chile A Traves De Fronteras Estocasticas (1990-1999)
We estimate inefficiency for the Chilean banking system in the period 1990-1999 through a sample of 24 national and foreign banks. Estimations indicate that the large banks are closer to their efficient frontiers (or display less x-inefficiency) as compared to the group of very small, small and medium-sized banks, which is consistent with international studies. National and large banks appear to be more efficient. It is exactly the latter group which has reported greater levels of risk and book returns. Also, the group of foreign bank branches displays the greatest levels of inefficiency, practically six times the level detected for national banks. Finally, inefficiency in the national banking system appears more clearly related to book returns that to risk.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eacc10.puc.cl/RePEc/pch/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & Gary D. Ferrier & Simon H. Kwan, 1999. "The informativeness of stochastic frontier and programming frontier efficiency scores: Cost efficiency and other measures of bank holding company performance," Working Paper 99-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1991. "Inefficiency and productivity growth in banking: a comparison of stochastic econometric and thick frontier methods," Working Paper 9117, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1997. "Modeling allocative inefficiency in a translog cost function and cost share equations: An exact relationship," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 351-356.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-93, November.
- Kopp, Raymond J. & Diewert, W. Erwin, 1982. "The decomposition of frontier cost function deviations into measures of technical and allocative efficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 319-331, August.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Simon H. Kwan & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1996.
"An analysis of inefficiencies in banking: a stochastic cost frontier approach,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 16-26.
- Simon H. Kwan & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1995. "An analysis of inefficiencies in banking: a stochastic cost frontier approach," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Simon H. Kwan & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1995. "An analysis of inefficiencies in banking: a stochastic cost frontier approach," Proceedings 465, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-82, February.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Carlos Budnevich & Helmut Franken & Ricardo Paredes, 2001. "Economías de Escala y Economías de Ámbito en el Sistema Bancario Chileno," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 93, Central Bank of Chile.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hunter, William C. & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "The efficiency of financial institutions: A review and preview of research past, present and future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 221-249, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pch:abante:v:6:y:2003:i:2:p:83-116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.