A Semiparametric Two-Factor Term Structure Model
This article proposes a semiparametric two-factor term structure model based on a consol rate and the spread between a short rate and the consol rate. The diffusion functions in both the consol rate and spread processes are nonparametrically specified so that the model allows for maximal flexibility of diffusion functions in fitting into data. The drift function of the spread process is specified as a mean-reverting function, while the drift function of the consol rate process is left unrestricted. A nonparametric procedure is developed for estimating the diffusion functions. The asymptotic biases of the nonparametric estimators are quantified when the step of discretization is fixed, while the asymptotic distributions of the nonparametric estimators are derived when the step of discretization tends to zero. The pricing and hedging performances of the model are evaluated in a simulated economic environment. Results show that the model performs quite well in the simulated economy. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 4 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Radhey S. & Ullah, Aman, 1985. "Nonparametric Time-Series Estimation of Joint DGP, Conditional DGP, and Vector Autoregression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 27-52, April.
- Stanton, Richard, 1997. " A Nonparametric Model of Term Structure Dynamics and the Market Price of Interest Rate Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1973-2002, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980.
"On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980. "On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation," NBER Working Papers 0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- David A. Chapman & Neil D. Pearson, 2000.
"Is the Short Rate Drift Actually Nonlinear?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 355-388, 02.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Richard Stanton & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1999. "A Multifactor, Nonlinear, Continuous-Time Model of Interest Rate Volatility," NBER Working Papers 7213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1992. " Interest Rate Volatility and the Term Structure: A Two-Factor General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1259-82, September.
- Richard, Scott F., 1978. "An arbitrage model of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 33-57, March.
- Stambaugh, Robert F., 1988. "The information in forward rates : Implications for models of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 41-70, May.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Brennan and Eduardo S. Schwartz., 1979. "A Continuous-Time Approach to the Pricing of Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 85, University of California at Berkeley.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Knight, John & Li, Fuchun & Yuan, Mingwei, 1999. "Pricing Interest Rate Derivatives in a Non-Parametric Two-Factor Term-Structure Model," Working Papers 99-19, Bank of Canada.
- Pritsker, Matt, 1998. "Nonparametric Density Estimation and Tests of Continuous Time Interest Rate Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 449-87.
- Hsin, Chin-Wen, 1995. " An Empirical Investigation of the Two-Factor Brennan-Schwartz Term Structure Model," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 71-92, March.
- Bandi, Federico & Moloche, Guillermo, 2008. "On the functional estimation of multivariate diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 43681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Richard Stanton & Robert Whitelaw, 1999. "A Multifactor, Nonlinear, Continuous-Time Model of Interest Rate Volatility," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-042, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Schaefer, Stephen M. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1984. "A Two-Factor Model of the Term Structure: An Approximate Analytical Solution," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 413-424, December.
- Overbeck, Ludger & Rydén, Tobias, 1997. "Estimation in the Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 430-461, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jfinec:v:4:y:2006:i:2:p:204-237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.