‘Fair trade’ coffee and the mitigation of local oligopsony power
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Suphanit Piyapromdee & Russell Hillberry & Donald MacLaren, 2008. "'Fair Trade' Coffee and the Mitigation of Local Oligopsony Power," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1057, The University of Melbourne.
References listed on IDEAS
- Steve McCorriston & Donald MacLaren, 2007. "Deregulation as (Welfare Reducing) Trade Reform: the Case of the Australian Wheat Board," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 637-650.
- Poret Sylvaine & Chambolle Claire, 2007. "Fair Trade Labeling: Inside or Outside Supermarkets?," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-24, November.
- Pierre Kohler, 2006. "The Economics of Fair Trade: For Whose Benefit? An Investigation into the Limits of Fair Trade as a Development Tool and the Risk of Clean-Washing," IHEID Working Papers 06-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Oct 2006.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & You, Zhikang, 1993. "Determinants of oligopsony power : The Haitian coffee case," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 275-284, August.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Food processing and distribution: An industrial organization approach," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 863-932, Elsevier.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Leonardo Becchetti, 2004. "Fair Trade: A 'Third Generation' Welfare Mechanism to Make Globalisation Sustainable," CEIS Research Paper 62, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kopp, Thomas & Bümmer, Bernhard, 2015. "Moving rubber to a better place - and extracting rents from credit constrained farmers along the way," EFForTS Discussion Paper Series 9, University of Goettingen, Collaborative Research Centre 990 "EFForTS, Ecological and Socioeconomic Functions of Tropical Lowland Rainforest Transformation Systems (Sumatra, Indonesia)".
- Podhorsky, Andrea, 2015. "A positive analysis of Fairtrade certification," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 169-185.
- Mujawamariya, Gaudiose & Burger, Kees & D'Haese, Marijke F.C., 2012. "Behaviour and performance of traders in the gum arabic supply chain in Senegal: Investigating oligopsonistic myths," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126236, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kopp, Thomas & Brummer, Bernhard, 2015. "Traders and Credit Constrained Farmers: Market Power along Indonesian Rubber Value Chains," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212012, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Alexander Kadow, 2011. "The Fair Trade movement:an economic perspective," Working Papers 2011_05, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), volume 41, number 92322, June.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007. "Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch [Market structure and pricing on the Ukrainian market for raw milk]," MPRA Paper 21958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro Arrighetti, 2009. "Market Imperfections and Fair Trade," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais & Stephen Devadoss, 2006. "Estimating bargaining strengths of Canadian chicken producers and processors using a bilateral monopoly framework," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 159-173.
- Ronchi, Loraine, 2006. "Fairtrade and market failures in agricultural commodity markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4011, The World Bank.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Grings, Michael, 2007. "Econometric Analysis Of Market Power On The Ukrainian Market For Raw Milk," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7575, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "Modelling Agricultural Commodity Markets under Imperfect Competition," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116012, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rodrigo, Maria F., 2012. "Do cooperatives benefit the poor? Evidence from Ethiopia," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 130545, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Philippe Bontems & Nicolas Gruyer, 2007. "When cost improvements harm consumers," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 30(1), pages 63-79, February.
- Ryo Sakamoto & Kyle Stiegert, 2018. "Comparing competitive toughness to benchmark outcomes in retail oligopoly pricing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(1), pages 44-60, December.
- Sascha A. Weber & Sven M. Anders, 2007.
"Price rigidity and market power in German retailing,"
Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 737-749.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven M., 2005. "Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24721, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Weber, Sascha A. & Anders, Sven, 2007. "Price Rigidity and Market Power in German Retailing," Discussion Papers 31, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Sexton, Richard J. & Sheldon, Ian M. & McCorriston, Steve & Wang, Humei, 2004. "Analyzing Vertical Market Structure And Its Implications For Trade Liberalization," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20060, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2013. "Moderne Konzepte zur Analyse der Preisbildung auf dem Faktormarkt mit unvollständigem Wettbewerb," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, pages 99-106.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2011.
"Virtuous Interactions in Removing Exclusion: The Link between Foreign Market Access and Access to Education,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(9), pages 1431-1454, September.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2009. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: the link between foreign market access and access to education," Econometica Working Papers wp10, Econometica.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Conzo, Pierluigi & Pisani, Fabio, 2010. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion," AICCON Working Papers 63-2009, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2009. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: The link between foreign market access and access to education," Working Papers 122, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Perekhozhuk, O. & Grings, M., 2008.
"Ökonometrische Analyse von Marktmacht auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Proceedings “Schriften der Gesellschaft für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften des Landbaues e.V.”, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA), vol. 43, March.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr & Grings, Michael, 2007. "Okonometrische Analyse Von Marktmacht Auf Dem Ukrainischen Markt Fur Rohmilch," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7597, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Zhang, Qiong & Yang, Hangjun & Wang, Qiang & Zhang, Anming, 2014. "Market power and its determinants in the Chinese airline industry," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 1-13.
- Huck, Petra & Salhofer, Klaus & Tribl, Christoph, 2006. "Spatial Competition of Milk Processing Cooperatives in Northern Germany," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25633, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kaittisak Kumse & Nobuhiro Suzuki & Takeshi Sato, 2020. "Does oligopsony power matter in price support policy design? Empirical evidence from the Thai Jasmine rice market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 51(3), pages 373-385, May.
- Oleksandr Perekhozhuk, 2013. "Modern Concepts for Pricing Analysis in Imperfect Competition Production Factor Market," Accounting and Finance, Institute of Accounting and Finance, issue 4, pages 99-106, December.
- Simone D'Alessandro & Domenico Fanelli, 2015.
"The Role of Income Distribution in the Diffusion of Corporate Social Responsibility,"
Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 187-212, May.
- D'Alessandro, Simone & Fanelli, Domenico, 2009. "The Role of Income Distribution in the Diffusion of Corporate Social Responsibility," MPRA Paper 18659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:erevae:v:41:y:2014:i:4:p:537-559.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/eaaeeea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Oxford University Press or Christopher F. Baum (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/eaaeeea.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.