On the Distribution of Crop Yields: Does the Central Limit Theorem Apply?
In this article, we investigate the applicability of the central limit theorem (CLT) to aggregate crop yields. We argue that the aggregation of elementary crop yields is likely to produce nonnormal distributions if, contrary to the standard CLT case, the number of crop acres exhibits substantial time variation. This case is covered by limit theorems for random sums of random variables, which predict nonnormal limiting distributions. The case of substantial variation in the number of summands produces an empirical hypothesis that we test using data from U.S. aggregate state crop yields. The results provide empirical support against the applicability of the CLT. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce J. Sherrick & Fabio C. Zanini & Gary D. Schnitkey & Scott H. Irwin, 2004.
"Crop Insurance Valuation under Alternative Yield Distributions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 406-419.
- Zanini, Fabio C. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Schnitkey, Gary D. & Irwin, Scott H., 2001. "Crop Insurance Valuation Under Alternative Yield Distributions," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18953, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Joseph Atwood & Saleem Shaik & Myles Watts, 2002. "Can Normality of Yields Be Assumed for Crop Insurance?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(2), pages 171-184, 07.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Weninger, Quinn & Just, Richard E., 1999.
"Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed?,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5064, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles B. Moss & J. S. Shonkwiler, 1993. "Estimating Yield Distributions with a Stochastic Trend and Nonnormal Errors," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(4), pages 1056-1062.
- Alan P. Ker & Barry K. Goodwin, 2000. "Nonparametric Estimation of Crop Insurance Rates Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 463-478.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Alan P. Ker, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Crop Yield Distributions: Implications for Rating Group-Risk Crop Insurance Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 139-153.
- Blattberg, Robert C & Gonedes, Nicholas J, 1974. "A Comparison of the Stable and Student Distributions as Statistical Models for Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 244-80, April.
- Hennessy, David A., 2012.
"Crop Yield Skewness and the Normal Distribution,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
35019, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph Atwood & Saleem Shaik & Myles Watts, 2003. "Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed? A Reexamination," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 888-901.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:93:y:2011:i:5:p:1341-1357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.