Influence of Quantitative and Qualitative Factors of Banking Sector Development on Economic Growth in South East European Countries
The aim of this article is to determine the level and the nature of the quantitative and qualitative factors' influences on development of the banking sector and their influence on economic growth in South-East European countries (SEE). We used a OLS model with panel-corrected standard errors (PCSE) and panel data from six transition countries for the period 1999-2006. We measure the qualitative development in the banking sector with the margin between deposit and lending interest rates (INT). Quantitative aspects of the banking sector were measured using variables: Domestic credit to private sector as share of GDP and variable Domestic credit provided by banking sector as share of GDP. Quantitative development of the banking sector affects the economic growth in the observed period, since variable Domestic credit provided by banking sector proved statistically significant. However, the second variable, Domestic credit to private sector, did not prove to be significant in the observed period. With respect to the results obtained for the qualitative banking sector development, the INT variable did not prove significant for economic growth.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031 224 400
Fax: 031 211 604
Web page: http://www.efos.unios.hr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Financial Intermediation And Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
124, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1988.
"Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income,"
88-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," NBER Working Papers 3189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," RCER Working Papers 131, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9002, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Oleh Havrylyshyn, 2001. "Recovery and Growth in Transition: A Decade of Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(4), pages 4.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osi:journl:v:5:y:2009:p:683-693. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Branko Matic, PhD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.