Who Pays The Corporate Tax In A Global Economy?
The theory of corporate tax incidence suggests that corporate taxes are more likely to harm labor in a globally integrated economy. However, a review of the prior empirical work in this area fails to reveal persuasive empirical evidence of adverse effects on labor, since these studies have several weaknesses that interfere with robust inferences. Using new data and methods, this paper provides additional evidence on the incidence of corporate taxation, finding no robust link between corporate taxation and wages. I discuss possible explanations for these findings as well as policy implications.
Volume (Year): 66 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (202) 737-7308
Web page: http://www.ntanet.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Diamond & Emmanuel Saez, 2011.
"The Case for a Progressive Tax: From Basic Research to Policy Recommendations,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 165-90, Fall.
- Peter A. Diamond & Emmanuel Saez, 2011. "The Case for a Progressive Tax: From Basic Research to Policy Recommendations," CESifo Working Paper Series 3548, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jukka Pirttilä & Håkan Selin, 2011. "Income Shifting within a Dual Income Tax System: Evidence from the Finnish Tax Reform of 1993," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 120-144, 03.
- Piketty, Thomas & Saez, Emmanuel, 2012.
"A Theory of Optimal Capital Taxation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mirrlees, James & Adam, Stuart & Besley, Tim & Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen & Chote, Robert & Malcolm, Gammie & Johnson, Paul & Myles, Gareth & Poterba, James, 2012. "The Mirrlees Review: A Proposal For Systematic Tax Reform," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 65(3), pages 655-83, September.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008.
"Corporate Tax Elasticities A Reader’s Guide to Empirical Findings,"
0822, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate tax elasticities: a reader's guide to empirical findings," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 680-697, winter.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Kitao, Sagiri & Krueger, Dirk, 2006.
"Taxing capital? Not a bad idea after all!,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2006/21, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Kitao, Sagiri & Krueger, Dirk, 2006. "Taxing Capital? Not a Bad Idea After All!," CEPR Discussion Papers 5929, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Sagiri Kitao & Dirk Krueger, 2007. "Taxing Capital? Not a Bad Idea After All!," NBER Working Papers 12880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan C. Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 2004. "Taxing Capital: Not a Bad Idea After All," 2004 Meeting Papers 403, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- R. Alison Felix, 2007. "Passing the burden: corporate tax incidence in open economies," Regional Research Working Paper RRWP 07-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Budd, John W. & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2002.
"Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
IZA Discussion Papers
560, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 73-84, February.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 522, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 2012. "The Mirrlees Review: A U.S. Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 65(3), pages 685-708, September.
- Clausing, Kimberly A., 2009. "Multinational Firm Tax Avoidance and Tax Policy," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 62(4), pages 703-25, December.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2012. "The missing wealth of nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net debtors or net creditors?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00565224, HAL.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Joel Slemrod, 1997. "The Economic Effects of the Tax Reform Act of 1986," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 589-632, June.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Benjamin Harris & Eric Toder, 2011. "Capital Income Taxation and Progressivity in a Global Economy," Departmental Working Papers 201122, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Gravelle, Jennifer, 2013. "Corporate Tax Incidence: Review Of General Equilibrium Estimates And Analysis," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 66(1), pages 185-214, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:66:y:2013:i:1:p:151-84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.