Restructuring and Barriers: Cross-Country Evidence on the Competitiveness of Exporters in Transition
The behaviour of exporters attracts the attention of researchers and policy makers interested in the competitiveness of their economies. Through participation on the international market, domestic firms can generate foreign exchange needed to pay for imports and learn about new technologies which can be used at home to improve the overall competitiveness of their industries. The paper develops a model in which the ability of firms from transition economies to compete on the international market is defined as a function of their activities, characteristics and features of their environment. The results of our research indicate that sunk costs of entry, technology transfer, innovations and competition play an important role for the decision of firms to export, while once they are on the international market cost advantages become more important.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer) ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 05 610 20 00
Fax: 05 610 20 15
Web page: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeroen de Jong & Ron Kemp & Mickey Folkeringa & Wubben, 2003.
"Innovation and firm performance,"
Scales Research Reports
H200207, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," CEPR Discussion Papers 1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2002. "Technology Gap and Cumulative Growth: Models and outcomes," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 333-346.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988.
Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mgt:youmgt:v:10:y:2012:i:2:p:145-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.