An assessment of the empirical magnitude of option values for environment goods
This paper provides an empirical assessment of the magnitude of option values relative to expected surplus using a model presented by Larson and Flacco (1992). Option values and option prices are computed for both simulated data sets and actual estimates of recreation demands. Results indicate that option values engendered by price and income uncertainty are generally quite a small percent of expected surplus. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
Volume (Year): 3 (1993)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1987. "Uncertainty, benefit-cost analysis, and the treatment of option value," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 283-292, September.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1972. "Option Demand and Consumer's Surplus: Valuing Price Changes under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 813-24, December.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Desvousges, William H. & Fisher, Ann, 1983. "Estimates of the option values for water quality improvements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-86.
- Richard C. Bishop, 1982. "Option Value: An Exposition and Extension," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 58(1), pages 1-15.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & Jeffrey Englin, 1991. "Cost-Benefit Analysis for Non-Market Resources: A Utility-Theoretic Empirical Model Incorporating Demand Uncertainty," UCLA Economics Working Papers 627, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Michael D. Creel & John B. Loomis, 1990. "Theoretical and Empirical Advantages of Truncated Count Data Estimators for Analysis of Deer Hunting in California," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(2), pages 434-441.
- Larson, Douglas M. & Flacco, Paul R., 1992. "Measuring option prices from market behavior," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 178-198, March.
- Edwards, Steven F., 1988. "Option prices for groundwater protection," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 475-487, December.
- D. R. Byerlee, 1971. "Option Demand and Consumer Surplus: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(3), pages 523-527.
- Douglas A. Greenley & Richard G. Walsh & Robert A. Young, 1981. "Option Value: Empirical Evidence from a Case Study of Recreation and Water Quality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(4), pages 657-673.
- Charles J. Cicchetti & A. Myrick Freeman III, 1971. "Option Demand and Consumer Surplus: Further Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(3), pages 528-539.
- Creel, Michael D. & Loomis, John B., 1992. "Modeling hunting demand in the presence of a bag limit, with tests of alternative specifications," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 99-113, March.
- David S. Brookshire & Larry S. Eubanks & Alan Randall, 1983. "Estimating Option Prices and Existence Values for Wildlife Resources," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(1), pages 1-15.
- Desvousges, William H. & Smith, V. Kerry & Fisher, Ann, 1987. "Option price estimates for water quality improvements: A contingent valuation study for the monongahela river," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 248-267, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:3:y:1993:i:5:p:471-485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.