External Effects of Agricultural Production in Italy and Environmental Accounting
This paper deals with the valuation of some negative external effects arising from agricultural production in Italy. External effects are treated in a transformation function as a ‘bad’ output additional to the normal output of a production activity. In this case we can distinguish a price component or shadow price of the external effect and a quantity component and estimate them separately. In order to calculate the price component of the external effects we first estimate one point on the marginal external costs curve and then try to obtain the whole curve, i.e. external costs associated to different levels of emissions in different years. As to the quantity component, net emissions of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium have been estimated. The aggregate value of external effects is then calculated for thirty years from 1961 to 1991 and deducted from the value added of the agricultural sector, as a first step towards the correction of national accounting aggregates to take environmental degradation into account. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1999
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, June.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Moro, Daniele, 1994.
"Autocorrelation specification in singular equation systems,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 303-309, December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D., 1994. "Autocorrelation Specification in Singular Equation Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11134, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
- de Boer, P. M. C. & Harkema, R., 1986. "Maximum likelihood estimation of sum-constrained linear models with insufficient observations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 325-329.
- Fontein, P.F. & Thijssen, G.J. & Magnus, J.R. & Dijk, J., 1994. "On levies to reduce the nitrogen surplus : The case of Dutch pig farms," Other publications TiSEM 80174da5-111a-4bed-a740-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Peter Fontein & Geert Thijssen & Jan Magnus & Jan Dijk, 1994. "On levies to reduce the nitrogen surplus: The case of Dutch pig farms," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(5), pages 455-478, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:13:y:1999:i:4:p:459-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.