Adverse Selection in Private Annuity Markets and the Role of Mandatory Social Annuitization
We study the effects on the macroeconomic equilibrium, the wealth distribution, and welfare of adverse selection in private annuity markets in a closed economy inhabited by overlapping generations of heterogeneous agents who are distinguished by their health status. If an agent’s health type is private information there will be a pooling equilibrium in the private annuity market. We also study the implications for the macro-economy and welfare of a social security system with mandatory contributions that are constant across health types. These social annuities are immune to adverse selection and therefore offer a higher rate of return than private annuities do. However, they have a negative effect on the steady-state capital intensity and welfare. The positive effect of a fair pooled rate of return on a fixed part of savings and a higher return on capital in equilibrium is outweighed by the negative consequences of increased adverse selection in the private annuity market and a lower wage rate. Copyright The Author(s) 2012
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben J. Heijdra & Jochen O. Mierau, 2009.
"Annuity Market Imperfection, Retirement and Economic Growth,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2717, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Mierau, Jochen O., 2012. "The individual life-cycle, annuity market imperfections and economic growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 876-890.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985.
"Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
1664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1986. "Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1079-97, September.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2003.
"Mandatory pensions and the intensity of adverse selection in life insurance markets,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5363, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bertrand Villeneuve, 2003. "Mandatory Pensions and the Intensity of Adverse Selection in Life Insurance Markets," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 527-548.
- Ben Heijdra & Laurie Reijnders, 2013.
"Economic Growth and Longevity Risk with Adverse Selection,"
Springer, vol. 161(1), pages 69-97, March.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Laurie S. M. Reijnders, 2009. "Economic Growth and Longevity Risk with Adverse Selection," CESifo Working Paper Series 2898, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Jochen O. Mierau & Laurie S. M. Reijnders, 2010.
"The Tragedy of Annuitization,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3141, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 630-49, November.
- Oded Palmon & Avia Spivak, 2007. "Adverse selection and the market for annuities," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 37-59, June.
- Cannon, Edmund & Tonks, Ian, 2008. "Annuity Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199216994, March.
- Pecchenino, Rowena A & Pollard, Patricia S, 1997.
"The Effects of Annuities, Bequests, and Aging in an Overlapping Generations Model of Endogenous Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 26-46, January.
- Rowena A. Pecchenino & Patricia S. Pollard, 1995. "The effects of annuities, bequests, and aging in an overlapping generations model of endogenous growth," Working Papers 1995-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Walliser, Jan, 2000. " Adverse Selection in the Annuities Market and the Impact of Privatizing Social Security," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 373-93, June.
- Pauly, Mark V, 1974. "Overinsurance and Public Provision of Insurance: The Roles of Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 44-62, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:decono:v:160:y:2012:i:3:p:311-337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.