A Note on Gaussian Estimation of the CKLS and CIR Models with Feedback Effects for Japan
In this note we extend the Gaussian estimation of two factor CKLS and CIR models recently considered in Nowman, K. B. (2001, Gaussian estimation and forecasting of multi-factor term structure models with an application to Japan and the United Kingdom, Asia Pacif. Financ. Markets 8, 23–34) to include feedback effects in the conditional mean as was originally formulated in general continuous time models by Bergstrom, A. R. (1966, Non-recursive models as discrete approximations to systems of stochastic differential equations, Econometrica 34, 173–182) with constant volatility. We use the exact discrete model of Bergstrom, A. R. (1966, Non-recursive models as discrete approximations to systems of stochastic differential equations, Econometrica 34, 173–182) to estimate the parameters which was first used by Brennan, M. J. and Schwartz, E. S. (1979, A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds, J. Bank. Financ. 3, 133–155) to estimate their two factor interest model but incorporating the assumption of Nowman, K. B. (1997, Gaussian estimation of single-factor continuous time models of the term structure of interest rates, J. Financ. 52, 1695–1706; 2001, Gaussian estimation and forecasting of multi-factor term structure models with an application to Japan and the United Kingdom, Asia Pacif. Financ. Markets 8, 23–34). An application to monthly Japanese Euro currency rates indicates some evidence of feedback from the 1-year rate to the 1-month rate in both the CKLS and CIR models. We also find a low level-volatility effect supporting Nowman, K. B. (2001, Gaussian estimation and forecasting of multi-factor term structure models with an application to Japan and the United Kingdom, Asia Pacif. Financ. Markets 8, 23–34). Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2003
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.jafee.gr.jp/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/10690/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-1227, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Michael J. Brennan and Eduardo S. Schwartz., 1979. "A Continuous-Time Approach to the Pricing of Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 85, University of California at Berkeley.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005. "A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2000. "Further evidence on alternative continuous time models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 199-212, June.
- Nowman, K. Ben, 2002. "The volatility of Japanese interest rates: evidence for Certificate of Deposit and Gensaki rates," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 29-38.
- Bergstrom, Albert Rex, 1983. "Gaussian Estimation of Structural Parameters in Higher Order Continuous Time Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 117-152, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:10:y:2003:i:2:p:275-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.