Refining Economic Diversification Strategies for Real Estate Portfolios
Diversification of real estate portfolios has historically been accomplished by utilizing a geographic and/or property-type strategy. More recently, a number of economically based diversification categories have been proposed by industry researchers (see Hartzell, Shulman and Wurtzebach, 1987 and Wurtzebach, 1988). This study tests the efficiency of the existing geographic and geographic/economic strategies currently in the literature against an economically based diversification strategy using straightforward government SIC code categories. The three strategies used include: the NCREIF four geographic regions; the Solomon Brothers eight regions (a combination of economics and geography); and a purely economic grouping of the 316 MSAs in the United States using the nine major government SIC code categories. This study finds that the addition of economic underpinnings to a geographically constrained model, as developed by Hartzell et al. (1987) creates a higher risk/return efficient frontier than the purely geographic NCREIF diversification model. However, shedding geography altogether and diversifying along purely economic lines provides an even better efficient frontier during real estate cycle recovery and growth periods. This new strategy provides the real estate portfolio manager with the opportunity to increase risk-adjusted returns with a strategy that is easily understood and applied.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David J. Hartzell & David G. Shulma & Vice President, 1987. "Refining the Analysis of Regional Diversification for Income-Producing Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 85-95.
- Emil E. Malizia & Robert A. Simons, 1991. "Comparing Regional Classifications for Real Estate Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(1), pages 53-78.
- Sharpe, William F., 1967. "Portfolio Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 76-84, June.
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- Mike Miles & Tom Mc Cue, 1982. "Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 184-199.
- Glenn R. Mueller & Barry A. Ziering, 1992. "Real Estate Portfolio Diversification Using Economic Diversification," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 7(4), pages 375-386.
- Charles H. Wurtzebach & Glenn R. Mueller & Donna Machi, 1991. "The Impact of Inflation and Vacancy on Real Estate Returns," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 6(2), pages 153-168.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:8:n:1:1993:p:55-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.