A Note on the Accounting Model for Problem Real Estate Loans
Real estate lenders are required to account for troubled real estate loans under guidance provided by generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). GAAP prescribes that cash flows of a troubled loan be discounted at a rate substantially different than financial theory indicates. The accounting model can lead to poor economic decisions and may encourage creditors to restructure problem loans, rather than pursuing other legal remedies.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- James R. Barth & R. Dan Brumbaugh & Daniel Sauerhaft & George Wang, 1985. "Thrift institution failures: causes and policy issues," Proceedings 68, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- David Hartzell & John Hekman & Mike Miles, 1986. "Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(2), pages 230-254.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1977. "Some Observations on Risk-Adjusted Discount Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1331-37, September.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Pinches, George E & Mingo, Kent A, 1973. "A Multivariate Analysis of Industrial Bond Ratings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 1990. "Closing troubled financial institutions: what are the issues?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 15-24.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:5:n:3:1990:p:381-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.