Policies for the Poor: Verifying the Information Base
This paper illustrates how policy formulation without prior data verification would not make much sense and serve any purpose. Given the National Sample Survey (NSS) finding on substantial errors of inclusion of the non-poor in the targeted Public Distribution System (PDS) and its extenuation that all the targeted beneficiaries are genuinely poor, we examine how valid is the explanation and hence, the recommendation for a universal PDS. Contrary to the general perception, the targeted PDS is universal and the need of the hour is to address the error of excluding the genuinely poor rather than provide a universal PDS/cash transfer.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jqe.co.in/societyhome.html|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Managing Editor, Journal of Quantitative Economics, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Gen. A.K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400 065 , INDIA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Frances Stewart, 1993.
"Two Errors of Targeting,"
iopeps93/54, Innocenti Occasional Papers, Economic Policy Series.
- T. Krishna Kumar & Sushanta Mallick & Jayarama Holla, 2009.
"Estimating Consumption Deprivation in India Using Survey Data: A State-Level Rural-Urban Analysis Before and During Reform Period,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 441-470.
- T. Krishna Kumar & Sushanta Mallick & Jayarama Holla, 2007. "Estimating Consumption Deprivation in India using Survey Data: A State-Level Rural-Urban Analysis before and during Reform Period," Working Papers 7, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- M. H. Suryanarayana & Dimitri Silva, 2007. "Is Targeting the Poor a Penalty on the Food Insecure? Poverty and Food Insecurity in India," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 89-107.
- Suryanarayana M H, 2013. "Nutritional Norms for Poverty: Issues and Implications," Working Papers id:5392, eSocialSciences.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jqe:jqenew:v:9:y:2011:i:1:p:73-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D. M. Nachane)or ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.