Public Debt in a Federation - Growth and Stability / Staatsverschuldung in einer Föderation - Wachstum und Stabilität
In this paper a neoclassical growth model is used to analyze public debt in a growing economy with two levels of government. The main focus is on the existence and the stability of long run equilibria in a growing federal state. It is shown that the equilibrium in a federation with two levels of government is more likely to be unstable than the equilibrium in a centralized state. Moreover, if the saving rate is below the golden rule, the equilibrium will be unambiguously unstable. In order to avoid instability, sufficient flexibility at all levels of government in federations and confederations such as the European union is required.
Volume (Year): 220 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen and Jurgen von Hagen., 1995.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Union: Federalism, Fiscal Restrictions and the No-Bailout Rule,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-056, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & von Hagen, Jurgen, 1995. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Union: Federalism, Fiscal Restrictions and the No-Bailout Rule," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers 233417, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Eichengreen, Barry & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1995. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Union: Federalism, Fiscal Restrictions and the No-Bailout Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- Kneebone, Ronald D., 1989. "Does fiscal policy matter in a federal economy?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 599-607.
- Ronald D. Kneebone, 1989. "On Macro-economic Instability under a Monetarist Policy Rule in a Federal Economy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 673-685, August.
- Heinz-Dieter Wenzel & Matthias Wrede, 1993. "Golden Rule Fiscal Policy," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 129(II), pages 123-150, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:220:y:2000:i:1:p:95-107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.