Foreign Aid, Aid Uncertainty And Private Investment In West Africa: An Unobserved Country Effects Model
This paper examines whether foreign aid has any impact on private investment in West Africa, taking other determinants of private investment into account. Following from this, the paper investigates whether multilateral aid and bilateral aid affect private investment differently. In a related analysis, the paper examines the impact of aid uncertainty (aid volatility) on private investment. The results show that multilateral aid affects private investment positively, but not bilateral aid, and uncertainty measured as the coefficient of variation has a negative impact on private investment and therefore reduces the impact of aid on private investment.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin MÃ¼hleisen & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Roger Nord & Michael T. Hadjimichael & E. Murat Ucer, 1995. "Sub-Saharan Africa; Growth, Savings, and Investment, 1986-93," IMF Occasional Papers 118, International Monetary Fund.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Fleck, Robert K. & Kilby, Christopher, 2005.
"How Do Political Changes Influence U.S. Bilateral Aid Allocations? Evidence from Panel Data,"
Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series
67, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Robert K. Fleck & Christopher Kilby, 2006. "How Do Political Changes Influence US Bilateral Aid Allocations? Evidence from Panel Data," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 210-223, 05.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-41, September.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Mahdavi, Saeid, 1990. "The Effects of Foreign Resource Inflows on Composition of Aggregate Expenditure in Developing Countries: A Seemingly Unrelated Model," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 111-37.
- Rati Ram, 2003. "Roles of Bilateral and Multilateral Aid in Economic Growth of Developing Countries," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 95-110, February.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 2002.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1475-1500, September.
- Robert Lensink & Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 31-49.
- Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres, 1992. "Private Investment and Macroeconomic Adjustment: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 95-114, January.
- Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong, 1992. "Aid and economic growth in LDCs: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer;National Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 31-52, March.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2005. "Foreign Aid And Economic Growth: New Evidence From Panel Cointegration," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 71-80, June.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999.
"The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-77, December.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2070, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:37:y:2012:i:4:p:101-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.