Income Distribution, Spillover Effects And Choice Of Product Quality
We consider an MNC that is originated from a developed country where income is more or less evenly distributed and serves there a high quality product with the help of sophisticated technology of production. Under liberalized policy this MNC enters into a developing economy where income distribution is highly unequal. Due to prior experience of production it possesses a cost advantage in producing appropriate product quality in the developing country described by the spillover effect. It is shown that this discriminating monopolist serves a lower quality product in the developing country without any cost advantage. This happens due to its uneven income distribution. As spillover effect starts to rise, the product qualities between the countries differentiate more. At the same time profit of MNC rises. This may provide an explanation why MNCs are so eager to enter into a developing country. The developing country also gains in terms of welfare.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wauthy, X., 1994.
"Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1994033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Wauthy, Xavier, 1996. "Quality Choice in Models of Vertical Differentiation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 345-53, September.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
- Kabiraj, Tarun & Roy, Soma, 2006. "Effects of Liberalization on Domestic Product Quality," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 273-293.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-31, June.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 2005. "Quality discrimination among income constrained consumers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-251, February.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kabiraj, Tarun, 1993.
"Income distribution and the contractionary effect of protection : A theoretical analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 399-405.
- Marjit, Sugata & Kabiraj, Tarun, 1992. "Income distribution and the contractionary effect of protection: A theoretical analysis," Discussion Papers, Series II 182, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
- Brunner, Johann K & Zweimüller, Josef, 1998.
"Innovation and Growth with Rich and Poor Consumers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1855, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Josef Zweimüller & Johann K. Brunner, 2005. "Innovation And Growth With Rich And Poor Consumers," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 233-262, 05.
- Adugna Lemi, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Host Country Productivity And Export: The Case Of U.S. And Japanese Multinational Affiliates," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 163-187, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:36:y:2011:i:2:p:61-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.