A Predictive Approach to Model Selection and Multicollinearity
We argue for the adoption of a predictive approach to model specification. Specifically, we derive the difference between means and the ratio of determinants of covariance matrices when a subset of explanatory variables is included or excluded from a regression. Results for an economic application are presented as an example.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan.-Feb.)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, Thomas F & LeRoy, Stephen F, 1981. "Identification and Estimation of Money Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 825-44, December.
- Steven Fazzari & Bruce Petersen, 1990. "Investment smoothing with working capital: new evidence on the impact of financial constraints," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1978. "Jeffreys-Bayes posterior odds ratio and the Akaike information criterion for discriminating between models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-342.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1981. "Posterior odds ratios for regression hypotheses : General considerations and some specific results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 151-152, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:12:y:1997:i:1:p:67-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.