Dynamic Mixed Duopoly: A Model Motivated by Linux vs. Windows
This paper analyzes a dynamic mixed duopoly in which a profit-maximizing competitor interacts with a competitor that prices at zero (or marginal cost), with the cumulation of output affecting their relative positions over time. The modeling effort is motivated by interactions between Linux, an open source operating system, and Microsoft's Windows and consequently emphasizes demand-side learning effects that generate dynamic scale economies (or network externalities). Analytical characterizations of the equilibrium under such conditions are offered, and some comparative static and welfare effects are examined.
Volume (Year): 52 (2006)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. M. Spence, 1981. "The Learning Curve and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 49-70, Spring.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-53, March.
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995.
"Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- ANDERSON, S. P. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., . "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1298, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lerner, Josh & Tirole, Jean, 2002. "Some Simple Economics of Open," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 197-234, June.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Justin Pappas Johnson, 2002. "Open Source Software: Private Provision of a Public Good," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 637-662, December.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- David, Paul A, 1985. "Clio and the Economics of QWERTY," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 332-37, May.
- Carl Shapiro, 1989. "The Theory of Business Strategy," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(1), pages 125-137, Spring.
- Bruce Kogut & Anca Metiu, 2001. "Open-Source Software Development and Distributed Innovation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 248-264, Summer.
- William C. Merrill & Norman Schneider, 1966. "Government Firms in Oligopoly Industries: A Short-Run Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(3), pages 400-412.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:52:y:2006:i:7:p:1072-1084. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.