Exact and Heuristic Solutions for a Shipment Problem with Given Frequencies
We consider the problem of shipping several products from an origin to a destination when a discrete set of shipping frequencies is available, in such a way that the sum of the transportation and inventory costs is minimized. This problem, which is known to be NP-hard, has applications in transportation planning and in location analysis. In this paper we derive dominance rules for the problem solutions that allow a tightening of the bounds on the problem variables and improve the efficiency of a known branch-and-bound algorithm. Moreover, we present some heuristics and compare them with two different modifications of an EOQ-type algorithm for the solution of the problem with continuous frequencies.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Anily & A. Federgruen, 1991. "Rejoinder to "Comments on One-Warehouse Multiple Retailer Systems with Vehicle Routing Costs"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(11), pages 1497-1499, November.
- Donald Erlenkotter, 1989. "Note---An Early Classic Misplaced: Ford W. Harris's Economic Order Quantity Model of 1915," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(7), pages 898-900, July.
- Peter L. Jackson & William L. Maxwell & John A. Muckstadt, 1988. "Determining Optimal Reorder Intervals in Capacitated Production-Distribution Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(8), pages 938-958, August.
- Robin Roundy, 1989. "Rounding Off to Powers of Two in Continuous Relaxations of Capacitated Lot Sizing Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1433-1442, December.
- Favaretto, Daniela & Pesenti, Raffaele & Ukovich, Walter, 2001. "Discrete frequency models for inventory management - an introduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 331-342, May.
- Blumenfeld, Dennis E. & Burns, Lawrence D. & Diltz, J. David & Daganzo, Carlos F., 1985. "Analyzing trade-offs between transportation, inventory and production costs on freight networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 361-380, October.
- Baita, Flavio & Ukovich, Walter & Pesenti, Raffaele & Favaretto, Daniela, 1998. "Dynamic routing-and-inventory problems: a review," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 585-598, November.
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 1988. "A comparison of in-vehicle and out-of- vehicle freight consolidation strategies," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 173-180, June.
- Hall, Randolph W., 1985. "Determining vehicle dispatch frequency when shipping frequency differs among suppliers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 421-431, October.
- S. Anily & A. Federgruen, 1990. "One Warehouse Multiple Retailer Systems with Vehicle Routing Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(1), pages 92-114, January.
- Daganzo, Carlos F. & Newell, Gordon F., 1985. "Physical distribution from a warehouse: Vehicle coverage and inventory levels," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 397-407, October.
- Bertazzi, Luca & Speranza, Maria Grazia & Ukovich, Walter, 1997. "Minimization of logistic costs with given frequencies," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 327-340, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:46:y:2000:i:7:p:973-988. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.