Monetary Policy under Uncertainty about the Nature of Asset-Price Shocks
The effects of an asset-price movement on inflation and output depend on whether that movement is fundamental or not. However, central banks cannot observe this. This paper examines the issue of how central banks should respond to asset prices given this constraint. Using a modified version of the Gruen, Plumb, and Stone (2005) model, this paper finds it is better to adopt a three-standard-deviation threshold rule for deciding whether to include asset prices in output-gap and inflation forecasts and monetary policy than to ignore asset prices altogether.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Gruen & Michael Plumb & Andrew Stone, 2005.
"How Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset-Price Bubbles?,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- David Gruen & Michael Plumb & Andrew Stone, 2003. "How Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset-price Bubbles?," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Anthony Richards & Tim Robinson (ed.), Asset Prices and Monetary Policy Reserve Bank of Australia.
- David Gruen & Michael Plumb & Andrew Stone, 2003. "How Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset-price Bubbles?," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2003-11, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Gruen, David & Plumb, Michael & Stone, Andrew, 2005. "How Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset-Price Bubbles?," MPRA Paper 833, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tim Robinson & Andrew Stone, 2006.
"Monetary Policy, Asset-Price Bubbles, and the Zero Lower Bound,"
in: Monetary Policy with Very Low Inflation in the Pacific Rim, NBER-EASE, Volume 15, pages 43-90
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tim Robinson & Andrew Stone, 2005. "Monetary Policy, Asset-price Bubbles and the Zero Lower Bound," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2005-04, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Tim Robinson & Andrew Stone, 2005. "Monetary Policy, Asset-Price Bubbles and the Zero Lower Bound," NBER Working Papers 11105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Hans Genberg & Sushil Wadhwani, 2002. "Asset Prices in a Flexible Inflation Targeting Framework," NBER Working Papers 8970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2008:q:4:a:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.