Comercio y convergencia regional: un análisis sectorial del caso español
This paper studies the impact of trade openness on on the slowdown of productivity convergence among Spanish regions observed in the last two decades. The empirical analysis carried out for 12 sectors and 17 regions over 1981-1995 shows a negative and significant effect, so that, as openness to international trade increases, divergence in productivity becomes wider. The paper also shows, however, that the negative effect on convegence was smaller than the positive effects of the deep change in sectoral structure experienced by the Spanish regions during the 1980s and 1990s. As a result, productivity levels continued to get closer, though at a slower rate. (Copyright: Fundación Empresa Pública)
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain|
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1990. "Economic Growth and Convergence across The United States," NBER Working Papers 3419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben-David, Dan & Loewy, Michael B, 2000.
"Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade, and Endogenous Growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 637-50, October.
- Ben-David, Dan & Loewy, Michael B, 1996. "Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade and Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1335, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ben-David, D & Loewy, M-B, 1997. "Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade, and Endogenous Growth," Papers 3-97, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998. "- Capital Humano Y Convergencia Regional," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1998.
"What Kind of Regional Convergence?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1924, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A. & Romer, Paul M., 1991.
"International trade with endogenous technological change,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 971-1001, May.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991. "International Trade with Endogenous Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 3594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, W., 1996.
"Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners,"
9607, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1998. "Are international R&D spillovers trade-related?: Analyzing spillovers among randomly matched trade partners," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1469-1481, September.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1996. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-related? Analyzing Spillovers among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," International Trade 9608002, EconWPA.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," NBER Working Papers 6065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:25:y:2001:i:3:p:603-624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.