Ownership structure and stock market liquidity: evidence from Tunisia
The aim of this paper is to identify and analyse the influence of ownership concentration on stock market liquidity in general, and the adverse selection component of the spread in particular for a panel of Tunisian firms from 2001 to 2007. We document that firms with greater insider ownership display significantly lower liquidity. The negative relation between liquidity and insider ownership is attributable to adverse selection. We also find that the only negative correlation between blockholders and liquidity persists is that with turnover. Thus, it appears that blockholders decrease liquidity. We find that ownership effect depends on the owner identity. Our results suggest that state ownership is negatively related to spread, and positively related to market depth. Foreign ownership has no significant effect on liquidity measures.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=252|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Maug, 1998. "Large Shareholders as Monitors: Is There a Trade-Off between Liquidity and Control?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 65-98, 02.
- Patrick BOLTON & Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 1996.
"Blocks, Liquidity, and Corporate Control,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9619, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Gosnell, Thomas & Keown, Arthur J & Pinkerton, John M, 1992. " Bankruptcy and Insider Trading: Differences between Exchange-Listed and OTC Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 349-62, March.
- Frank Fehle, 2004. "Bid-Ask Spreads and Institutional Ownership," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 275-292, 06.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2003.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3749, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles Kahn & Andrew Winton, 1998. "Ownership Structure, Speculation, and Shareholder Intervention," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 99-129, 02.
- Hamon, Jacques & Ginglinger, Edith, 2012.
"Ownership, control and market liquidity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/9676, Paris Dauphine University.
- Hamilton, James L, 1978. "Marketplace Organization and Marketability: NASDAQ, the Stock Exchange, and the National Market System," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 487-503, May.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Brockman, Paul & Chung, Dennis Y. & Yan, Xuemin (Sterling), 2009. "Block Ownership, Trading Activity, and Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(06), pages 1403-1426, December.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985.
"Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Heflin, Frank & Shaw, Kenneth W., 2000. "Blockholder Ownership and Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 621-633, December.
- Fang, Vivian W. & Noe, Thomas H. & Tice, Sheri, 2009. "Stock market liquidity and firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 150-169, October.
- Hans R. Stoll, .
"The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
13-77, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978. "The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1153-72, September.
- Rubin, Amir, 2007. "Ownership level, ownership concentration and liquidity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 219-248, August.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Keloharju, Matti, 2000. "The investment behavior and performance of various investor types: a study of Finland's unique data set," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 43-67, January.
- Kini, Omesh & Mian, Shehzad, 1995. "Bid-Ask Spread and Ownership Structure," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(4), pages 401-14, Winter.
- Lin, Ji-Chai & Sanger, Gary C & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Trade Size and Components of the Bid-Ask Spread," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1153-83.
- Rhee, S. Ghon & Wang, Jianxin, 2009. "Foreign institutional ownership and stock market liquidity: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1312-1324, July.
- Goyenko, Ruslan Y. & Holden, Craig W. & Trzcinka, Charles A., 2009. "Do liquidity measures measure liquidity?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 153-181, May.
- Aitken, Michael & Comerton-Forde, Carole, 2003. "How should liquidity be measured?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987.
" A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987. "A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information," Working papers 1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tinic, Seha M, 1972. "The Economics of Liquidity Services," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-93, February.
- Attig, Najah & Fong, Wai-Ming & Gadhoum, Yoser & Lang, Larry H.P., 2006. "Effects of large shareholding on information asymmetry and stock liquidity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2875-2892, October.
- Brian J. Bushee & Theodore H. Goodman, 2007. "Which Institutional Investors Trade Based on Private Information About Earnings and Returns?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 289-321, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:injmfa:v:3:y:2011:i:1:p:91-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.