For a Welfare-Oriented Taxation Reform in Italy
The Italian system of economic support for those on low incomes and for families is among the least effective in Europe. Its incoherent nature is shown by very large jumps in implicit marginal tax rates (taxation + family benefits). Italy needs a comprehensive reform of the treatment of income for tax and social welfare purposes. This paper proposes a new system of benefits and taxation for Italy based on a discussion of the theoretical properties of different schemes for integrating taxation and family benefits. The proposal combines tax allowance for work, designed to provide incentives to work, a flat rate family benefit and changes in the structure of tax rates which would incorporate the progressivity that is implicit in the current system of family benefits. The proposed system exhibits some of the characteristics of social dividend and negative income tax schemes. A micro-simulation exercise shows that the scheme would produce redistributive effects in favour of middle and low incomes and would lead to significant improvements in poverty and inequality indicators.
Volume (Year): 64 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo V Fiorio & Francesco D'Amuri, 2005. "Workers' Tax Evasion in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(2-3), pages 247-270, November.
- Francesca Gastaldi & Paolo Liberati, 2005. "The Personal Income Tax in Italy: Why Does It Change?," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(2-3), pages 159-188, November.
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Atkinson Anthony B. & Brandolini Andrea, 2004. "I cambiamenti di lungo periodo nelle diseguaglianze di reddito nei paesi industrializzati," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 389-422.
- Boeri, Tito & Brandolini, Andrea, 2005.
"The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1530, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri & Andrea Brandolini, 2004. "The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 449-487, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gde:journl:gde_v64_n2-3_p189-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.