Australian Labour Market Flows over the Business Cycle
This paper analyses the behaviour of Australian labour market transition rates. Since the early 1980s, the job-finding rate has been significantly more volatile than the job-loss rate and it is strongly pro-cyclical. The economic downturns of the early 1980s and early 1990s were associated with up to a 10 percentage points decline in the average job-finding rate. In comparison, the recent economic downturn was associated with a less significant decline in the job-finding rate. During these periods, the job-loss rate has shown less significant volatility. The findings of this paper suggest that the job search activities of workers are potentially more relevant in explaining the volatility of labour market variables such as the unemployment rate, and whether emerging skill shortages can be addressed. Policies that assist job search and the skills development of workers are important, as is the intensity of workers' search activity.
Volume (Year): 37 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Note:||Chindamo, P. 2011. Australian Labour Market Flows over the Business Cycle. Australian Bulletin of Labour, Vol. 37 No. 1, pp.127-137.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2100, Adelaide SA 5001|
Phone: +61 8 8201 2265
Fax: +61 8 8276 9060
Web page: http://www.flinders.edu.au/sabs/nils/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Dixon & John Freebairn & G. C. Lim, 2004. "A Framework For Understanding Changes In The Unemployment Rate In A Flows Context: An Examination Net Flows In The Australian Labour Market," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 910, The University of Melbourne.
- Phillip Chindamo & Lawrence Uren, 2010. "Vacancies and Unemployment in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 43(2), pages 136-152.
- Roberts, Anna M. & Pannell, David J. & Doole, Graeme J. & Vigiak, Olga, 2010.
"Agricultural land management strategies to reduce phosphorus loads in the Gippsland Lakes, Australia,"
102454, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Roberts, Anna M. & Pannell, David J. & Doole, Graeme & Vigiak, Olga, 2012. "Agricultural land management strategies to reduce phosphorus loads in the Gippsland Lakes, Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 11-22.
- Ramey, Garey & Shigeru Fujita, 2006.
"The Cyclicality of Job Loss and Hiring,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt4nz8p839, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fli:journl:25993. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rupali Saikia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.