Owners versus managers: who controls the bank?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Michael Smirlock & William Marshall, 1983. "Monopoly Power and Expense-Preference Behavior: Theory and Evidence to the Contrary," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 166-178, Spring.
- Linda Allen & Anthony Saunders, 1988. "Incentives to engage in bank window-dressing: manager vs. stockholder conflicts," Working Papers 89-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Jia, Jingyi Jane, 2008. "Institutional ownership stability and BHC performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1767-1781, September.
- Hughes, Joseph P. & Lang, William W. & Mester, Loretta J. & Moon, Choon-Geol & Pagano, Michael S., 2003.
"Do bankers sacrifice value to build empires? Managerial incentives, industry consolidation, and financial performance,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 417-447, March.
- William Lang & Choon-Geol Moon & Loretta Mester & Joseph Hughes & Michael Pagano, 2001. "Do Bankers Sacrifice Value to Build Empires? Managerial Incentives, Industry Consolidation, and Financial Performance," Departmental Working Papers 200117, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William W. Lang & Loretta J. Mester & Choon-Geol Moon & Michael S. Pagano, 2002. "Do Bankers Sacrifice Value to Build Empires? Managerial Incentives, Industry Consolidation and Financial Performance," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-18, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Joseph P. Hughes & William W. Lang & Loretta J. Mester & Choon-Geol Moon & Michael S. Pagano, 2002. "Do bankers sacrifice value to build empires? managerial incentives, industry consolidation, and financial performance," Working Papers 02-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Loretta J. Mester, 2005. "Optimal industrial structure in banking," Working Papers 08-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- James R. Barth & Sunghoon Joo & Kang‐Bok Lee, 2022. "Bank–client cross‐ownership of bank stocks: A network analysis," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 280-312, June.
- Loretta J. Mester, 2003. "Applying efficiency measurement techniques to central banks," Working Papers 03-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Lozano-Vivas, Ana, 2002.
"Organizational Form and Expense Preference: Spanish Experience,"
Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 135-150, April.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Ana Lozano, 1999. "Organizational Form and Expense Preference: Spanish Experience," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-068, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Mahmood Araï & Gérard Ballot & Ali Skalli, 1996. "Différentiels intersectoriels de salaire et caractéristiques des employeurs en France," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 299(1), pages 37-58.
- Sirajo Aliyu & Rosylin Mohd Yusof, 2016. "Profitability and Cost Efficiency of Islamic Banks: A Panel Analysis of Some Selected Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 6(4), pages 1736-1743.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 1998. "Bureaucrat-managers and corporate governance: expense-preference behaviors in Japanese financial institutions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 385-389, December.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1999. "Product markets and labour markets1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Gropper, Daniel M. & Hudson, Carl D., 2003. "A note on savings and loan ownership structure and expense preference: A re-examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2003-2014, October.
- Tiffany Hutcheson & Ian G. Sharpe, 1998.
"Ownership Structure and Building Society Efficiency,"
Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 23(2), pages 151-168, December.
- Tiffany Hutcheson & Ian Sharpe, 1997. "Ownership Structure and Building Society Efficiency," Working Paper Series 78, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Manoj Pant & Manoranjan Pattanayak, 2010. "Corporate Governance, Competition and Firm Performance," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 9(3), pages 347-381, December.
- Neuberger, Doris, 1997. "Structure, Conduct and Performance in Banking Markets," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 12, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Lee Mobley & W. David Bradford, 1997. "Behavioural differences among hospitals: it is ownership, or location?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1125-1138.
- Wang, David Han-Min, 2010. "Corporate investment, financing, and dividend policies in the high-tech industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 486-489, May.
- Stephen D. Prowse, 1995. "Alternative methods of corporate control in commercial banks," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q III, pages 24-36.
- Poltavets Ivan, 2005. "Productivity Differential and Competition: Can an Old Dog be Taught New Tricks?," EERC Working Paper Series 05-09e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Li‐Ying Huang & Yu‐Luen Ma & Nat Pope, 2012. "Foreign Ownership and Non‐Life Insurer Efficiency in the Japanese Marketplace," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 15(1), pages 57-88, March.
- Matthew S. Goldberg & Thomas P. Frazier, 1994. "Employment and utilization of engineers among defense contractors," Naval Research Logistics (NRL), John Wiley & Sons, vol. 41(7), pages 853-874, December.
- Stephen D. Prowse, 1995. "Alternative methods of corporate control in commercial banks," Working Papers 9507, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
More about this item
KeywordsBank stocks; Bank mergers; Theory of the firm;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpbr:y:1989:i:may:p:13-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/frbphus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Beth Paul (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/frbphus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.