Bank holding company stock risk and the composition of bank asset portfolios
In this paper, I conduct an empirical analysis of the behavior of bank holding company stock returns with the goal of identifying the effect of portfolio composition on the risks embodied in those returns. Using a modified arbitrage pricing theory model, I test for significant balance sheet effects on both the market and nonmarket components of bank stock systematic risk. I find that several categories of bank assets are significant in explaining bank stock risk profiles. Among other things, I discuss the importance of these findings in light of the risk-based capital standards and suggest that noncredit types of risk may need to be incorporated into bank capital standards if capital levels are to reflect risk accurately.
Volume (Year): (1992)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Booth & Dennis T. Officer, 1985. "Expectations, Interest Rates, And Commercial Bank Stocks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 8(1), pages 51-58, 03.
- Lynge, Morgan J. & Zumwalt, J. Kenton, 1980. "An Empirical Study of the Interest Rate Sensitivity of Commercial Bank Returns: A Multi-Index Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 731-742, September.
- Sweeney, Richard J & Warga, Arthur D, 1986. " The Pricing of Interest-Rate Risk: Evidence from the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 393-410, June.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Martin, John D. & Keown, Arthur J., 1977. "Interest Rate Sensitivity and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 181-195, June.
- Edward J. Kane & Haluk Unal, 1988. "Change in Market Assessments of Deposit-Institution Riskiness," NBER Working Papers 2530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don M. Chance & William R. Lane, 1980. "A Re-Examination Of Interest Rate Sensitivity In The Common Stocks Of Financial Institutions," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 3(1), pages 49-55, 03.
- Jonathan A. Neuberger, 1991. "Risk and return in banking: evidence from bank stock returns," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Fall, pages 18-30.