The case of the missing interest deductions: will tax reform increase U. S. saving rates?
A comparison of U.S. saving rates with those of 15 OECD countries, finding that saving is generally higher in countries that do not subsidize borrowing through interest deductibility.
Volume (Year): (1990)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Dividends, Capital Gains, and the Corporate Veil: Evidence from Britain, Canada, and the United States,"
in: National Saving and Economic Performance, pages 49-74
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, J.M., 1989. "Dividends, Capital Gains And The Corporate Veil: Evidence From Britain, Canada And The United States," Working Papers 3, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- James M. Poterba, 1989. "Dividends, Capital Gains, and the Corporate Veil: Evidence from Britain, Canada, and the United States," NBER Working Papers 2975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel Slemrod, 1988.
"Fear of Nuclear War and Intercountry Differences in the Rate of Saving,"
NBER Working Papers
2801, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Slemrod, Joel, 1990. "Fear of Nuclear War and Intercountry Differences in the Rate of Saving," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(4), pages 647-57, October.
- Jump, Gregory V, 1980. "Interest Rates, Inflation Expectations, and Spurious Elements in Measured Real Income and Saving," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 990-1004, December.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1989. "A Neoclassical Perspective on Budget Deficits," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 55-72, Spring.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1990.
"Does correcting for heteroscedasticity help?,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 351-356, December.
- Altig, David & Davis, Steven J, 1992.
"The Timing of Intergenerational Transfers, Tax Policy, and Aggregate Savings,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1199-220, December.
- David E. Altig & Steven J. Davis, 1989. "The timing of intergenerational transfers, tax policy, and aggregate savings," Working Paper 8917, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- David Altig & Steve J. Davis, 1991. "The Timing of Intergenerational Transfers, Tax Policy, and Aggregate Savings," NBER Working Papers 3753, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Liebman, Jeffrey B., 2002.
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 32, pages 2245-2324
- Bosworth, Barry P, 1990. "International Differences in Saving," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 377-81, May.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett, 1989.
"Corporate Savings and Shareholder Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
2994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 1990. "Treatment of Capital Income in Recent Tax Reforms and the Cost of Capital in Industrialized Countries," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy: Volume 4, pages 25-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Chris & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
"Why have private savings rates in the United States and Canada diverged?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-279, September.
- Chris Carroll & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Why Have Private Saving Rates in the United States and Canada Diverged?," NBER Working Papers 2319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Susan M. Byrne, 1990. "Don't worry, we'll grow out of it: an analysis of demographics, consumer spending, and foreign debt," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Oct.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1985. "Fiscal Policy and Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 117-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcer:y:1990:i:qiv:p:22-34:n:v.26no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.