Permanent income hypothesis and variability of consumption
This paper investigates the variability of Finnish consumption with a purpose to determine whether traditional permanent income hypothesis is consistent with Finnish consumption data, or is consumption excessively smooth as suggested in recent empirical studies. A spectral density based measure is used to determine the variability ratios for nondurables consumption and durables expenditures. Results show strong excess smoothness in durables expenditures, and slight excess smoothness in nondurables consumption. The issue of excess smoothness is also approached using cross spectral analysis. The role of features such as liquidity constraints, uncertainty and irreversibility of durables stock in causing excess smoothness is discussed.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gali, Jordi, 1991. "Budget Constraints and Time-Series Evidence on Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1238-1253, December.
- Gali, Jordi, 1993.
"Variability of Durable and Nondurable Consumption: Evidence for Six O.E.C.D. Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 418-428, August.
- Gali, J., 1992. "Variability of Durable and Nondurable Consumption: Evidence for Six O.E.C.D. Countries," Papers 92-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- West, Kenneth D., 1988. "The insensitivity of consumption to news about income," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 17-33, January.
- Kenneth D. West, 1987. "The Insensitivity of Consumption to News About Income," NBER Working Papers 2252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flavin, Marjorie A, 1981. "The Adjustment of Consumption to Changing Expectations about Future Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 974-1009, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:9:y:1996:i:2:p:144-154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.