Productivity, Export Performance, and Financing of the Czech Corporate Sector: The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment
The article looks in both theoretical and empirical terms at whether large foreign presence has affected domestic firms. Foreign firms might both intentionally and unintentionally influence the productivity, financing, and export performance of local firms within the same industry or across industries along the production chain via supplier and client linkages. Economic theory does not suggest an unambiguous answer to the question of whether the influence is positive or negative. To answer this question, both firm-level and industry-level data on performance, financing, and exports and interactions of firms within the production chain in the Czech Republic are analyzed.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 05-06 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 1998. "International technology transfer and the technology gap," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 369-398, April.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997.
"Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-1460, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Merlevede & K. Schoors, 2006. "FDI and the Consequences Towards more complete capture of spillover effects," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/372, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ken Schoors & Bruno Merlevede, 2007. "FDI and the Consequences: Towards more complete capture of spillover effects," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp886, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Ronde, Thomas, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and spillovers through workers' mobility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 205-222, February.
- Andrea Fosfuri & Massimo Motta & Thomas Ronde, 1998. "Foreign direct investments and spillovers through workers' mobility," Economics Working Papers 258, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Rønde, Thomas, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and Spillovers through Workers' Mobility," CEPR Discussion Papers 2194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008. "To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006. "To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Roman Horváth, 2005. "Financial Accelerator Effects in the Balance Sheets of Czech Firms," Working Papers IES 96, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised 2005.
- Roman Horv??th, 2006. "Financial Accelerator Effects in the Balance Sheets of Czech Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp847, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Horvath, Roman, 2006. "Financial Accelerator Effects in the Balance Sheets of Czech Firms," MPRA Paper 829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adam Gersl & Ieva Rubene & Tina Zumer, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers: Updated Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 2007/8, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Joze P. Damijan & Mark Knell & Boris Majcen & Matija Rojec, 2003. "Technology Transfer through FDI in Top-10 Transition Countries: How Important are Direct Effects, Horizontal and Vertical Spillovers?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 549, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- K. Schoors & B. Van Der Tol, 2002. "Foreign direct investment spillovers within and between sectors: Evidence from Hungarian data," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 02/157, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Adam Geršl, 2008. "Performance and financing of the corporate sector: the role of foreign direct investment," Working Papers IES 2008/03, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Mar 2008.
- Amil Petrin & Brian P. Poi & James Levinsohn, 2004. "Production function estimation in Stata using inputs to control for unobservables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 113-123, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:58:y:2008:i:5-6:p:232-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.