Why heavily indebted poor countries have failed to pay back their debt? An empirical investigation (in English)
This paper, in using cross-section pooled logit, probit, and fixed-effects logit models, empirically explores the main factors affecting the rescheduling of contractual debt-service payments by heavily indebted poor countries (HICPs) in the late 1980s and the 1990s. The results seem to suggest that HIPCs past external debt, per-capita income level, GDP growth rate, trade openness, foreign-currency reserves, and capital inflows are core factors affecting debt servicing.
Volume (Year): 55 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Fafchamps, .
"Sovereign Debt, Structural Adjustment and Conditionality,"
96015, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "Sovereign debt, structural adjustment, and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 313-335, August.
- Andrew Berg & Jeffrey Sachs, 1988.
"The Debt Crisis: Structural Explanations of Country Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
2607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berg, Andrew & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1988. "The debt crisis structural explanations of country performance," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 271-306, November.
- Gary M. Woller & Kerk Phillips, 1996. "Commercial Banks And Ldc Debt Reduction," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(2), pages 107-123, 04.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1987. "The external debt repayments problems of LDC's : An econometric model based on panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 205-230.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:55:y:2005:i:3-4:p:124-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.