Explaining Accounting Policy Choices of SME’s: An Empirical Research on the Evaluation Methods
Analyzing accounting issues relative to small and medium sized entities (SMEs) we found the influence of taxation as the main leitmotif in the Romanian literature. However, weak empirical evidence is provided to sustain this argument. In this paper we investigate the accounting policy choices of SMEs, particularly those related to the evaluation methods. Our purpose is to find some “pattern” in these decisions and to identify the main factors that trigger them. Data for the study was collected through a survey in which respondents were requested to indicate the degree to which each of the factors listed in the questionnaire influenced their choice of accounting methods. After controlling for size, we applied the principal component analysis technique in ascertaining the impact of factors. Our results though consistent with the reviewed literature, are still surprising. This is in the sense that while taxation seems to remain the strongest influence factor, the weakest happens to be the true and fair view (TFV) consideration. In finding some possible explanations to this, we leave this question open: is it possible that the overwhelming academic concept of TFV is an empty vessel for practitioners?
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayiotis Curtis & Jonh Thalassinos, 2005. "Equity fund raising and “creative” accounting practices: Indications from Athens Stock Exchange for the 1999-2000 period," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 127-127.
- repec:bla:joares:v:13:y:1975:i:1:p:16-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aziz Jaafar & Stuart McLeay, 2007. "Country Effects and Sector Effects on the Harmonization of Accounting Policy Choice," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 43(2), pages 156-189.
- Bernard Raffournier, 1995. "The determinants of voluntary financial disclosure by Swiss listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 261-280.
- repec:bla:joares:v:34:y:1996:i:1:p:23-43 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:xiii:y:2010:i:1:p:33-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marios Agiomavritis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.