Market efficiency, purchasing power parity and cointegration in Central American black foreing exchange markets
The assumption that black market exchange rates follow a random walk and /or are determined by the purchasing power parity conditions in comonly imposed in macreoconomic models. The results from standard tests of black market efficiency, under the weak form, are not conclusive withoutany ambiguity whenever they are applied to nonstationary time series. This paper compares then with the unambiguous results arising from the application of the theory of cointegration to the study of market efficiency and purchasing power parity in the black market exchange rates of Costa Rica, El Salvador and Guatemala.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.colmex.mx/centros/cee/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F, 1986. "Econometric Modelling with Cointegrated Variables: An Overview," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 201-212, August.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P., 1989. "Foreign exchange market efficiency and cointegration : Some evidence from the recent float," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 63-68.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister, 1991.
"The Cost of Export Subsidies; Evidence From Costa Rica,"
IMF Working Papers
- Alexander Hoffmaister, 1992. "The Cost of Export Subsidies: Evidence from Costa Rica," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 148-174, March.
- Daniel, Betty C., 1986. "Empirical determinants of purchasing power parity deviations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 313-326, November.
- Gillet, Roland, 1991. "L'efficience informationnelle du marchÃ© boursier : aspects thÃ©oriques et empiriques," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1991005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1988.
"Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 1,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 468-497, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986. "Statistical Inference in Regressions with Integrated Processes: Part 1," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 811R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1987.
- Jacob A. Frenkel, 1983. "Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fren83-1, September.
- Richard J Rogalski & Joseph D Vinso, 1977. "Price Level Variations as Predictors of Flexible Exchange Rates," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 8(1), pages 71-82, March.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baillie, Richard T & Lippens, Robert E & McMahon, Patrick C, 1983. "Testing Rational Expectations and Efficiency in the Foreign Exchange Market," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 553-563, May.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Meese, Richard A & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. " On Unit Roots and the Empirical Modeling of Exchange Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1029-1035, September.
- Jacob A. Frenkel, 1983. "An Introduction to Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics, pages 1-18 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emx:esteco:v:8:y:1993:i:1:p:111-153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.