Bank concentration and financial constraints on firm investment in UK
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to investigate the impact of bank concentration on firm financial constraints to perform investment across two types of financial constraints firms. Design/methodology/approach - The authors analyse this relationship by estimating the investment-cash flow sensitivity across groups of firms classified according to debt maturity structure model. The firms were classified as short-term and long-term debt dependent firms. Empirically the authors analyze a sample that consists of the most recent dataset (over 2001-2009) of UK firms that engage in foreign direct investment by using fixed-effects and GMM-IV estimation techniques. Findings - Bank concentration was found to relax financial constraints on firm level investment. Results indicate that higher level financial constraints are associated with short-term debt dependent firms that exhibit high level of investment-cash flow sensitivity. Further, it was found that bank concentration is associated with reduction in financial constraints on firm investment and this effect is stronger for short-term debt dependent firms. Originality/value - Unlike previous studies, the paper investigates the bank concentration effects on UK foreign direct investing firms that are uniquely classified; based on distinctive dimension of financial frictions in capital market. Estimated results ascertain that information-based hypothesis is pertinent to the UK capital market.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=sef Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009.
"Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
25209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2009-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2000.
"Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 16(2), pages 421-455.
- Guzman, Mark G., 1999. "Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model," Working Papers 9907, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, revised 01 Mar 2000.
- Moretti, Luigi, 2008. "Bank Concentration and Structure of Manufacturing Sectors: Differences Between High and Low Income Countries," MPRA Paper 18867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2006. "Nationwide Branching and Its Impact on Market Structure, Quality, and Bank Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 567-592, March.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- De Maeseneire, W. & Claeys, T., 2007. "SMES, FDI and financial constraints," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2007-25, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Ratti, Ronald A. & Lee, Sunglyong & Seol, Youn, 2008. "Bank concentration and financial constraints on firm-level investment in Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2684-2694, December.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2006. "Financial Constraints, Asset Tangibility, and Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 12087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2009.
"Firms' investment under financial constraints: a euro area investigation,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(20), pages 1611-1624.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2008. "Firms' Investment under Financial Constraints: A Euro Area Investigation," Working Papers wp08-07, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Robert Marquez, 2002. "Competition, Adverse Selection, and Information Dispersion in the Banking Industry," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 901-926.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004. "The Cash Flow Sensitivity of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1777-1804, 08.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Is The Growth Of Small Firms Constrained By Internal Finance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 298-309, May.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 1997. "The role of credit market competition on lending strategies and on capital accumulation," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-97-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:sefpps:v:29:y:2012:i:1:p:11-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.