Bank concentration and financial constraints on firm investment in UK
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the impact of bank concentration on firm financial constraints to perform investment across two types of financial constraints firms. Design/methodology/approach – The authors analyse this relationship by estimating the investment-cash flow sensitivity across groups of firms classified according to debt maturity structure model. The firms were classified as short-term and long-term debt dependent firms. Empirically the authors analyze a sample that consists of the most recent dataset (over 2001-2009) of UK firms that engage in foreign direct investment by using fixed-effects and GMM-IV estimation techniques. Findings – Bank concentration was found to relax financial constraints on firm level investment. Results indicate that higher level financial constraints are associated with short-term debt dependent firms that exhibit high level of investment-cash flow sensitivity. Further, it was found that bank concentration is associated with reduction in financial constraints on firm investment and this effect is stronger for short-term debt dependent firms. Originality/value – Unlike previous studies, the paper investigates the bank concentration effects on UK foreign direct investing firms that are uniquely classified; based on distinctive dimension of financial frictions in capital market. Estimated results ascertain that information-based hypothesis is pertinent to the UK capital market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com |
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=sef Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Is The Growth Of Small Firms Constrained By Internal Finance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 298-309, May.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello, 2006. "Financial Constraints, Asset Tangibility, and Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 12087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark G. Guzman, 1999.
"Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model,"
9907, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2000. "Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 421-455.
- Robert Marquez, 2002. "Competition, Adverse Selection, and Information Dispersion in the Banking Industry," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 901-926.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009.
"Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2009-005, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Vlad Manole & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Exporting, Capital Investment and Financial Constraints," LICOS Discussion Papers 25209, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004. "The Cash Flow Sensitivity of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1777-1804, 08.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2008.
"Firms' Investment under Financial Constraints: A Euro Area Investigation,"
wp08-07, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Rozalia Pal & Roman Kozhan, 2009. "Firms' investment under financial constraints: a euro area investigation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(20), pages 1611-1624.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2006. "Nationwide Branching and Its Impact on Market Structure, Quality, and Bank Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 567-592, March.
- De Maeseneire, W. & Claeys, T., 2007. "SMES, FDI and financial constraints," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2007-25, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 1997. "The role of credit market competition on lending strategies and on capital accumulation," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-97-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ratti, Ronald A. & Lee, Sunglyong & Seol, Youn, 2008. "Bank concentration and financial constraints on firm-level investment in Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2684-2694, December.
- Moretti, Luigi, 2008. "Bank Concentration and Structure of Manufacturing Sectors: Differences Between High and Low Income Countries," MPRA Paper 18867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:sefpps:v:29:y:2012:i:1:p:11-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.