The dynamic relationship between agricultural futures and agriculture index in China
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to investigate the long-term and short-term asymmetric effects of the price transmission relationships between agricultural futures and the agriculture index in China. Design/methodology/approach - The paper adopts a threshold autoregressive (TAR) model and momentum-TAR (M-TAR) model that test the prices of futures and spots in the special trading system. Findings - The paper indicates that during different stages of the economic cycle, agricultural futures and the agriculture index exhibit different correlations. During the initial stages of economic upturns and downturns, the addition of futures of agricultural products helps to diversify risk. In contrast, during the late stages of economic upturns and downturns, such additions do not really help to diversify risk. Soybean meal futures and the agriculture index are more strongly correlated with each other. If investors use soybean meal futures to predict the trends in the agriculture index, they will obtain more accurate conclusions. Practical implications - The soybean futures have leading effects in a single range and a lower correlation with the agriculture index. This paper provides a point of reference for investors devising investment strategies and for the Chinese Government in its execution of macro-control policies. It provides a clear review about the estimation methods. It also provides information about China's soybean, soy meal industry. Originality/value - The paper contains updated information about China's soybean and soybean meal trading. It uses new estimation methods (TAR, M-TAR) to examine the co-integration between soybean, soybean meal and the agricultural index.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chatrath, Arjun & Adrangi, Bahram & Dhanda, Kanwalroop Kathy, 2002. "Are commodity prices chaotic?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 123-137, August.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001.
"Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Ng, S., 1995.
"Looking for Evidence of Speculative Stockholding in Commodity Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
9514, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ng, Serena, 1996. "Looking for evidence of speculative stockholding in commodity markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 123-143.
- Ng, S., 1995. "Looking for Evidence of Speculative Stockholding in Commodity Markets," Cahiers de recherche 9514, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chatrath, Arjun & Adrangi, Bahram & Dhanda, Kanwalroop Kathy, 2002. "Are commodity prices chaotic?," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(2), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:3:y:2011:i:3:p:369-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.