Current Financial Crisis: The End of Financial Liberalisation?
The current financial crisis has called the role of the monetary policy into question and has also re-opened the debates about a new regulation and the need of prudential controls of banking activity. This paper argues that the origins of the current crisis can be found in two interrelated elements that have been operating since the decade of the seventies: the financial liberalization policies implemented in developed and developing economies, and the economic policy based on the new consensus in macroeconomics. This new macroeconomic policy was focused on the monetary policy, with the downgrading of fiscal policy, and in the use as a main instrument of the continuous changes in the interest rates in order to control inflation rates. As a result, a huge and unprecedented liquidity and household borrowing has been generated in the main world economies, mainly in the USA and the United Kingdom, that is in the origin on the current crisis.
Volume (Year): 72 (2009)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 34 945019038
Fax: + 34945019062
Web page: http://www.euskadi.net/economia
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Hacienda y Finanzas, Gobierno Vasco, C/Donostia-San Sebastián, 1, 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Working Paper 19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Peter L. Rousseau, 2002.
"Historical Perspectives on Financial Development and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
9333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter L. Rousseau, 2003. "Historical perspectives on financial development and economic growth," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 81-106.
- Ross Levine, 2003. "More on finance and growth: more finance, more growth?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 31-46.
- Luintel, Kul B & Khan, Mosahid & Arestis, Philip & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2008.
"Financial Structure and Economic Growth,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2008/3, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Randall Morck & Masao Nakamura, 1999. "Banks and Corporate Control in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 319-339, 02.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2009. "International Finance and Growth in Developing Countries: What Have We Learned?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 63-111, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ekz:ekonoz:2009303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iñaki Treviño)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.