External economies of scale, government purchasing commitment and welfare improvements in the vaccines industry
Some industries exhibit external economies of scale. In these cases,the introduction of self-financing tax subsidy programmes canimprove social welfare. This paper advocates intervention incompetitive markets if economies of scale existand implementing the policy is inexpensive.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1981. "Variable Returns to Scale in Production and Patterns of Specialization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(1), pages 221-30, March.
- Osana, Hiroaki, 1977. "Optimal Tax-Subsidy System for an Economy with Marshallian Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 329-40, March.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "Decreasing Costs in International Trade and Frank Graham's Argument for Protection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1243-68, September.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1971.
"Marshallian External Economies and Optimal Tax-Subsidy Structure,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 35-53, January.
- Masahiko Aoki, 2013. "Marshallian External Economies And Optimal Tax-Subsidy Structure," Chapters, in: Comparative Institutional Analysis, chapter 2, pages 5-17 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Frank D. Graham, 1923. "Some Aspects of Protection Further Considered," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 199-227.
- Jacques Thépot, 2003. "Pareto-Improving Redistribution in a Monopoly," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(2), pages 165-178.
- John S. Chipman, 1970. "External Economies of Scale and Competitive Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 347-385.
- Chandra, Vandana & Franck, David & Naqvi, Nadeem, 2002. "World Increasing Returns and Production Subsidies," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(274), pages 223-27, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:egr:ejge00:v:1:i:2:p:163-179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Varela)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.