Cyclical Over-Investment and Crisis in a Labor-Scarce Economy
This paper incorporates a post-Marxian view of investment in an overinvestment theory of cyclical economic crises. The Marxian crisis theory based on the tendency for the profit rate to fall (because of overmechanization) is replaced with a theory of overaccumulation of fixed capital, while the high employment profit squeeze is restated in terms of this overinvestment. Historical conditions determine overinvestment's results: when labor power is potentially scarce (precapitalist or agricultural labor reserves are largely gone), overinvestment means rising costs, falling profit rates, and crisis. Also, the resulting slump can cause either a recovery or lasting stagnation. Finally, post-1949 U.S. data are presented to argue the theory's plausibility.
Volume (Year): 13 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (Jul-Sep)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA|
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: https://www.quinnipiac.edu/eea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Johnson, George E, 1969. "Bargaining Theory, Trade Unions, and Industrial Strike Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Kahn, Lawrence M, 1980. "Bargaining Power, Search Theory and the Phillips Curve," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(3), pages 233-244, September.
- Albert M. Wojnilower, 1980. "The Central Role of Credit Crunches in Recent Financial History," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 277-340.
- Roemer, John E, 1978. "The Effect of Technological Change on the Real Wage and Marx's Falling Rate of Profit," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(30), pages 152-166, June.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1981. "A Dynamic Model of Investment and Capacity Utilization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(3), pages 379-403.
- Hahnel, Robin & Sherman, Howard, 1982. "The Rate of Profit over the Business Cycle," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 185-194, June.
- Shaikh, Anwar, 1978. "Political Economy and Capitalism: Notes on Dobb's Theory of Crisis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-251, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:13:y:1987:i:3:p:271-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.