The emergence and evolution of collective action: Lessons from watershed management in Haiti
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Edella Schlager & William Blomquist & Shui Yan Tang, 1994. "Mobile Flows, Storage, and Self-Organized Institutions for Governing Common-Pool Resources," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(3), pages 294-317.
- Dahlman, Carl J, 1979. "The Problem of Externality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 141-162, April.
- Dawes, Robyn M & Thaler, Richard H, 1988. "Anomalies: Cooperation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 187-197, Summer.
- Sugden, Robert, 1989. "Spontaneous Order," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 85-97, Fall.
- Guttman, Joel M., 1982. "Can political entrepreneurs solve the free-rider problem?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 357-366, December.
- North, Douglass C, 1994. "Economic Performance through Time," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 359-368, June.
- Bromley, Daniel W., 1989. "Property relations and economic development: The other land reform," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 867-877, June.
- White, T Anderson & Runge, C Ford, 1994. "Common Property and Collective Action: Lessons from Cooperative Watershed Management in Haiti," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 1-41, October.
- Uphoff, Norman, 1993. "Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Chuma, Hiroyuki & Hayami, Yujiro, 1992. "Land and Labor Contracts in Agrarian Economies: Theories and Facts," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1965-2018, December.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1992. "Solidarity Networks in Preindustrial Societies: Rational Peasants with a Moral Economy," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 147-174, October.
- Marwell, Gerald & Ames, Ruth E., 1981. "Economists free ride, does anyone else? : Experiments on the provision of public goods, IV," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 295-310, June.
- Stevenson,Glenn G., 1991. "Common Property Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521384414, March.
- Runge, Carlisle Ford, 1986. "Common property and collective action in economic development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 623-635, May.
- Jodha, N.S., 1992. "Common Property Resources; A Missing Dimension of development Strategies," World Bank - Discussion Papers 168, World Bank.
- Sugden, Robert, 1984. "Reciprocity: The Supply of Public Goods through Voluntary Contributions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376), pages 772-787, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andersson, Krister, 2013. "Local Governance of Forests and the Role of External Organizations: Some Ties Matter More Than Others," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 226-237.
- Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Mamo, T & Mohamed Saleem, M A, 2001. "From plot to watershed management : Experience in farmer participatory Vertisol technology generation and adoption in highland Ethiopia," Research Reports 182890, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Kumar, D. Suresh, 2009. "Participation in Self-Help Group Activities and its Impacts: Evidence from South India," MPRA Paper 19943, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Aug 2009.
- Nuggehalli, Roshni K. & Prokopy, Linda Stalker, 2009. "Motivating factors and facilitating conditions explaining women's participation in co-management of Sri Lankan forests," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 288-293, July.
- Mushtaq, Shahbaz & Dawe, David & Lin, Hong & Moya, Piedad, 2007. "An assessment of collective action for pond management in Zhanghe Irrigation System (ZIS), China," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-3), pages 140-156, January.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & DiGregorio, Monica & McCarthy, Nancy, 2004.
"Methods for studying collective action in rural development,"
Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 197-214, December.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Di Gregorio, Monica & McCarthy, Nancy, 2004. "Methods for studying collective action in rural development:," CAPRi working papers 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- D. Suresh Kumar, "undated".
"Can Participatory Watershed Management be sustained? Evidence from Southern India,"
14, The South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics.
- D. Suresh Kumar, 2008. "Can Participatory Watershed Management be sustained? Evidence from Southern India," Working Papers id:1681, eSocialSciences.
- P. B. Anand, 2003. "From conflict to co-operation: some design issues for local collective action institutions in cities," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 231-243.
- Gaspart, F & Jabbar, M & Melard, C & Platteau, J-P, 1997.
"Participation in the Construction of a Local Public Good : A Case Study of Watershed Management in the Ethiopian Highlands,"
181, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Gaspert, Frédéric & Jabbar, Mohammad A. & Mélard, Catherine & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1998. "Participation In The Construction Of A Local Public Good: A Case Study Of Watershed Management In The Ethiopian Highlands," Research Reports 183006, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Obare, Gideon & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2006. "Rural institutions and producer organizations in imperfect markets: experiences from producer marketing groups in semi-arid eastern Kenya," CAPRi working papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Coxhead, Ian, 2002. "Development and the Upland Resource Base: Economic and Policy Context, and Lessons from a Philippine Watershed," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2002 Vol. XXIX No. 1-, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Hodge, Ian & McNally, Sandra, 2000. "Wetland restoration, collective action and the role of water management institutions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 107-118, October.
- Devarajulu, Suresh Kumar, 2008. "An economic inquiry into collective action and household behaviour in watershed management," MPRA Paper 17867, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Klooster, Daniel, 2000. "Institutional Choice, Community, and Struggle: A Case Study of Forest Co-Management in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1999. "The Ambiguous Impact of Inequality on Local Resource Management," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 773-788, May.
- Siegwart Lindenberg, 2014. "Sustainable cooperation needs tinkering with both rules and social motivation," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 71-81, April.
- Kumar, D. Suresh & Palanisami, K., 2009. "An Economic Inquiry into Collective Action and Household Behaviour in Watershed Management," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 64(1).
- Barr, Abigail, 2004. "Forging Effective New Communities: The Evolution of Civil Society in Zimbabwean Resettlement Villages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1753-1766, October.
- Weinberger, Katinka & Jutting, Johannes Paul, 2001. "Women's Participation in Local Organizations: Conditions and Constraints," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1391-1404, August.
- Tai, Hsing-Sheng, 2007. "Development Through Conservation: An Institutional Analysis of Indigenous Community-Based Conservation in Taiwan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1186-1203, July.
- Sarkhel, Prasenjit, 2015. "Flood risk, land use and private participation in embankment maintenance in Indian Sundarbans," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 272-284.
- Agrawal, Arun, 2001. "Common Property Institutions and Sustainable Governance of Resources," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1649-1672, October.
- Nakano, Yuko & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2010. "Determinants of Household Contributions to Collective Irrigation Management: A Case of the Doho Rice Scheme in Uganda," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 95919, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Adhikari, Sunit & Kingi, Tanira & Ganesh, Siva, 2014. "Incentives for community participation in the governance and management of common property resources: the case of community forest management in Nepal," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 1-9.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:23:y:1995:i:10:p:1683-1698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .