Consequences of differences in cost-benefit methodology in railway infrastructure appraisal—A comparison between selected countries
This paper presents the cost-benefit methodology used in the appraisal of railway infrastructure in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the UK, France, Germany and Switzerland. The consequences of differences in methodology are illustrated by a case-study undertaken with the methodology from each of the seven countries. Differences in methodology means that results from the analyses are far from similar. The case project has a positive net present value based on Swiss and British methodology, but negative net present value using methodology from any of the other five countries.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Salomon, Ilan, 2001.
"How derived is the demand for travel? Some conceptual and measurement considerations,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 695-719, September.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia & Salomon, Ilan, 2001. "How Derived is the Demand for Travel? Some Conceptual and Measurement Considerations," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt1z26n1r8, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L & Salomon, Ilan, 2001. "How Derived is the Demand for Travel? Some Conceptual and Measurement Considerations," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7cx951n5, University of California Transportation Center.
- Kaufmann, Vincent & Jemelin, Christophe & Pflieger, Géraldine & Pattaroni, Luca, 2008. "Socio-political analysis of French transport policies: The state of the practices," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 12-22, January.
- Nakamura, H., 2000. "The economic evaluation of transport infrastructure: needs for international comparisons," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 3-6, January.
- Lyons, Glenn & Jain, Juliet & Holley, David, 2007. "The use of travel time by rail passengers in Great Britain," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 107-120, January.
- Hayashi, Y. & Morisugi, H., 2000. "International comparison of background concept and methodology of transportation project appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-88, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:22:y:2012:i:c:p:29-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.