Joint inventory-location problem under the risk of probabilistic facility disruptions
This paper studies a reliable joint inventory-location problem that optimizes facility locations, customer allocations, and inventory management decisions when facilities are subject to disruption risks (e.g., due to natural or man-made hazards). When a facility fails, its customers may be reassigned to other operational facilities in order to avoid the high penalty costs associated with losing service. We propose an integer programming model that minimizes the sum of facility construction costs, expected inventory holding costs and expected customer costs under normal and failure scenarios. We develop a Lagrangian relaxation solution framework for this problem, including a polynomial-time exact algorithm for the relaxed nonlinear subproblems. Numerical experiment results show that this proposed model is capable of providing a near-optimum solution within a short computation time. Managerial insights on the optimal facility deployment, inventory control strategies, and the corresponding cost constitutions are drawn.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 1984. "The length of tours in zones of different shapes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 135-145, April.
- Cui, Tingting & Ouyang, Yanfeng & Shen, Zuo-Jun Max J, 2010. "Reliable Facility Location Design under the Risk of Disruptions," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt5sh2c7pw, University of California Transportation Center.
- Schmitt, Amanda J. & Snyder, Lawrence V. & Shen, Zuo-Jun Max, 2010. "Inventory systems with stochastic demand and supply: Properties and approximations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(2), pages 313-328, October.
- Li, Xiaopeng & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2011. "Reliable sensor deployment for network traffic surveillance," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 218-231, January.
- Li, Xiaopeng & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2010. "A continuum approximation approach to reliable facility location design under correlated probabilistic disruptions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 535-548, May.
- Owen, Susan Hesse & Daskin, Mark S., 1998. "Strategic facility location: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 423-447, December.
- Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2007. "Design of vehicle routing zones for large-scale distribution systems," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 1079-1093, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:7:p:991-1003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.