Reliable sensor deployment for network traffic surveillance
New sensor technologies enable synthesis of disaggregated vehicle information from multiple locations. This paper proposes a reliable facility location model to optimize traffic surveillance benefit from synthesized sensor pairs (e.g., for travel time estimation) in addition to individual sensor flow coverage (e.g., for traffic volume statistics), while considering probabilistic sensor failures. Customized greedy and Lagrangian relaxation algorithms are proposed to solve this problem, and their performance is discussed. Numerical results show that the proposed algorithms solve the problem efficiently. We also discuss managerial insights on how optimal sensor deployment and surveillance benefits vary with surveillance objective and system parameters (such as sensor failure probabilities).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Hai & Iida, Yasunori & Sasaki, Tsuna, 1991. "An analysis of the reliability of an origin-destination trip matrix estimated from traffic counts," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 351-363, October.
- Hu, Shou-Ren & Peeta, Srinivas & Chu, Chun-Hsiao, 2009. "Identification of vehicle sensor locations for link-based network traffic applications," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(8-9), pages 873-894, September.
- Cui, Tingting & Ouyang, Yanfeng & Shen, Zuo-Jun Max J, 2010. "Reliable Facility Location Design under the Risk of Disruptions," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt5sh2c7pw, University of California Transportation Center.
- Marshall L. Fisher, 1981. "The Lagrangian Relaxation Method for Solving Integer Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Gerard Cornuejols & Marshall L. Fisher & George L. Nemhauser, 1977. "Exceptional Paper--Location of Bank Accounts to Optimize Float: An Analytic Study of Exact and Approximate Algorithms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(8), pages 789-810, April.
- Yang, Hai & Zhou, Jing, 1998. "Optimal traffic counting locations for origin-destination matrix estimation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 109-126, February.
- Li, Xiaopeng & Peng, Fan & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2010. "Measurement and estimation of traffic oscillation properties," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Castillo, Enrique & Menéndez, José María & Jiménez, Pilar, 2008. "Trip matrix and path flow reconstruction and estimation based on plate scanning and link observations," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 455-481, June.
- Sherali, Hanif D. & Desai, Jitamitra & Rakha, Hesham, 2006. "A discrete optimization approach for locating Automatic Vehicle Identification readers for the provision of roadway travel times," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 857-871, December.
- Li, Xiaopeng & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2010. "A continuum approximation approach to reliable facility location design under correlated probabilistic disruptions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 535-548, May.
- Ehlert, Anett & Bell, Michael G.H. & Grosso, Sergio, 2006. "The optimisation of traffic count locations in road networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 460-479, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:1:p:218-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.