Anti-seismic reinforcement strategy for an urban road network
This paper provides a novel practical method for analyzing an anti-seismic reinforcement (ASR) problem involving hundreds of transportation facilities on an urban road network subject to multiple earthquake risks. The relevant properties of the present method are: (i) it evaluates the performance of an ASR strategy, taking into account traffic congestion and travelers’ trip-making or route-choice behavior; (ii) it estimates the realistic damage patterns on the road network and their occurrence probabilities on the basis of recent advances in structural and earthquake engineering; (iii) it has clear, sensible logic and includes neither a black-box nor a “lottery” in the necessary procedures. We examine the computational efficiency and whether the present method is reasonable by applying it to a test scenario of the Kobe urban and suburban area.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Anthony & Yang, Hai & Lo, Hong K. & Tang, Wilson H., 2002. "Capacity reliability of a road network: an assessment methodology and numerical results," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 225-252, March.
- Lo, Hong K. & Tung, Yeou-Koung, 2003. "Network with degradable links: capacity analysis and design," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 345-363, May.
- Lam, William H.K. & Shao, Hu & Sumalee, Agachai, 2008. "Modeling impacts of adverse weather conditions on a road network with uncertainties in demand and supply," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(10), pages 890-910, December.
- Nicholson, Alan & Du, Zhen-Ping, 1997. "Degradable transportation systems: An integrated equilibrium model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 209-223, June.
- Du, Zhen-Ping & Nicholson, Alan, 1997. "Degradable transportation systems: Sensitivity and reliability analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 225-237, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521857406 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jenelius, Erik & Petersen, Tom & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Importance and exposure in road network vulnerability analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 537-560, August.
- Khattak, Asad J. & De Palma, André, 1997. "The impact of adverse weather conditions on the propensity to change travel decisions: A survey of Brussels commuters," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 181-203, May.
- Yang, Hai, 1997. "Sensitivity analysis for the elastic-demand network equilibrium problem with applications," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-70, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521674096 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:5:p:813-827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.