Local Walsh-average regression for semiparametric varying-coefficient models
This work is concerned with robust estimation in a semiparametric varying-coefficient partially linear model when the underlying error distribution deviates from a normal distribution. We develop a robust estimator by minimizing a locally Walsh-average-based loss function. We show theoretically that the proposed estimator is highly efficient across a wide spectrum of distributions. Its asymptotic relative efficiency with respect to the least-squares-based method is closely related to that of the signed-rank Wilcoxon test in comparison with the t-test. Both the theoretical and the numerical results demonstrate that the performance of the new approach is at least comparable to those of existing works.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, 1.
- Zhang, Wenyang & Lee, Sik-Yum & Song, Xinyuan, 2002. "Local Polynomial Fitting in Semivarying Coefficient Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 166-188, July.
- Zhang, Wenyang & Lee, Sik-Yum, 2000. "Variable Bandwidth Selection in Varying-Coefficient Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 116-134, July.
- Wang, Lan & Kai, Bo & Li, Runze, 2009. "Local Rank Inference for Varying Coefficient Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(488), pages 1631-1645.
- Feng, Long & Zou, Changliang & Wang, Zhaojun, 2012. "Local Walsh-average regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 36-48.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, 1.
- Bo Kai & Runze Li & Hui Zou, 2010. "Local composite quantile regression smoothing: an efficient and safe alternative to local polynomial regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(1), pages 49-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:82:y:2012:i:10:p:1815-1822. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.