Modeling and simulation with operator scaling
Self-similar processes are useful models for natural systems that exhibit scaling. Operator scaling allows a different scale factor in each coordinate. This paper develops practical methods for modeling and simulation. A simulation method is developed for operator scaling Lévy processes, based on a series representation, along with a Gaussian approximation of the small jumps. Several examples are given to illustrate the range of practical applications. A complete characterization of symmetries in two dimensions is given, for any exponent and spectral measure, to inform the choice of these model parameters. The paper concludes with some extensions to general operator self-similar processes.
Volume (Year): 120 (2010)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Alan Veeh, Jeery, 1995. "Symmetry groups in d-space," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Mark M. Meerschaert & Enrico Scalas, 2006.
"Coupled continuous time random walks in finance,"
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Scalas, Enrico, 2006. "Coupled continuous time random walks in finance," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 370(1), pages 114-118.
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Xiao, Yimin, 2005. "Dimension results for sample paths of operator stable Lévy processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 55-75, January.
- repec:att:wimass:9208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Loretan, Mico & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1994.
"Testing the covariance stationarity of heavy-tailed time series: An overview of the theory with applications to several financial datasets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 211-248, January.
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Scheffler, Hans-Peter, 2008. "Triangular array limits for continuous time random walks," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(9), pages 1606-1633, September.
- Sato, Ken-iti, 1987. "Strictly operator-stable distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 278-295, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:120:y:2010:i:12:p:2390-2411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.