Is the duration of poverty and unemployment a risk factor for heavy drinking?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- LaVeist, Thomas A. & Wallace, John M., 2000. "Health risk and inequitable distribution of liquor stores in African American neighborhood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 613-617, August.
- Paul D. Allison, 2000. "Multiple Imputation for Missing Data," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 28(3), pages 301-309, February.
- Needham, Belinda L., 2007. "Gender differences in trajectories of depressive symptomatology and substance use during the transition from adolescence to young adulthood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(6), pages 1166-1179, September.
- de Visser, Richard O. & Smith, Jonathan A., 2007. "Young men's ambivalence toward alcohol," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 350-362, January.
- Merline, A.C. & O'Malley, P.M. & Schulenberg, J.E. & Bachman, J.G. & Johnston, L.D., 2004. "Substance Use among Adults 35 Years of Age: Prevalence, Adulthood Predictors, and Impact of Adolescent Substance Use," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 94(1), pages 96-102.
- McDonough, P. & Duncan, G.J. & Williams, D. & House, J., 1997. "Income dynamics and adult mortality in the United States, 1972 through 1989," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 87(9), pages 1476-1483.
- Kuntsche, E. & Rehm, J. & Gmel, G., 2004. "Characteristics of binge drinkers in Europe," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 113-127, July.
- Hill, Terrence D. & Angel, Ronald J., 2005. "Neighborhood disorder, psychological distress, and heavy drinking," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 965-975, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antelo, Manel & Magdalena, Pilar & Reboredo, Juan C., 2017.
"Economic crisis and the unemployment effect on household food expenditure: The case of Spain,"
Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 11-24.
- Antelo, Manel & Magdalena, Pilar & Reboredo, Juan C., 2015. "Economic crisis and the unemployment effect on household food expenditure: The case of Spain," MPRA Paper 77004, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2016.
- Huerta, Maria C. & Borgonovi, Francesca, 2010.
"Education, alcohol use and abuse among young adults in Britain,"
Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 143-151, July.
- María del Carmen Huerta & Francesca Borgonovi, 2010. "Education, Alcohol Use and Abuse Among Young Adults in Britain," OECD Education Working Papers 50, OECD Publishing.
- Rohde, Nicholas & Tang, Kam Ki & Osberg, Lars & Rao, D.S. Prasada, 2017.
"Is it vulnerability or economic insecurity that matters for health?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 134(C), pages 307-319.
- Nicholas Rohde & Lars Osberg & KK Tang & Prasada Rao, 2015. "Is it vulnerability or economic insecurity that matters for health?," Discussion Papers in Economics economics:201501, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Moniek C. M. Goeij & Jan-Willem Bruggink & Ferdy Otten & Anton E. Kunst, 2017. "Harmful drinking after job loss: a stronger association during the post-2008 economic crisis?," International Journal of Public Health, Springer;Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+), vol. 62(5), pages 563-572, June.
- Urbanos-Garrido, Rosa M. & Gonzalez Lopez-Valcarcel, Beatriz, 2013. "Desempleo y salud: Un análisis de la repercusión de la crisis económica sobre la salud de los españoles/Unemployment and Health: An Analysis of the Impact of the Economic Crisis on the Health of the S," Estudios de Economia Aplicada, Estudios de Economia Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 303-326, Septiembr.
- Kåre Bævre & Øystein Kravdal, 2014. "The effects of earlier income variation on mortality: An analysis of Norwegian register data," Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 68(1), pages 81-94, March.
- Boden, Joseph M. & Lee, Jungeun Olivia & Horwood, L. John & Grest, Carolina Villamil & McLeod, Geraldine F.H., 2017. "Modelling possible causality in the associations between unemployment, cannabis use, and alcohol misuse," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 175(C), pages 127-134.
- Rosa Urbanos-Garrido & Beatriz Lopez-Valcarcel, 2015. "The influence of the economic crisis on the association between unemployment and health: an empirical analysis for Spain," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 16(2), pages 175-184, March.
- Garcy, Anthony M. & Vågerö, Denny, 2012. "The length of unemployment predicts mortality, differently in men and women, and by cause of death: A six year mortality follow-up of the Swedish 1992–1996 recession," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(12), pages 1911-1920.
- Lantis, Robert & Teahan, Brittany, 2018. "The effect of unemployment insurance on alcohol use and abuse following job loss," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 92-103.
- Alexandrina Stoyanova & Jaime Pinilla, 2020. "The Evolution of Mental Health in the Context of Transitory Economic Changes," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 203-221, April.
- Shaykhi, Farzin & Ghayour-Minaie, Matin & Toumbourou, John W., 2018. "Impact of the Resilient Families intervention on adolescent antisocial behavior: 14-month follow-up within a randomized trial," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 484-491.
- Liu, Hong & Zhao, Zhong, 2014.
"Parental job loss and children's health: Ten years after the massive layoff of the SOEs' workers in China,"
China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 303-319.
- Liu, Hong & Zhao, Zhong, 2011. "Parental Job Loss and Children’s Health: Ten Years after the Massive Layoff of the SOEs’ Workers in China," IZA Discussion Papers 5846, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Lee, Jungeun Olivia & Hill, Karl G. & Hartigan, Lacey A. & Boden, Joseph M. & Guttmannova, Katarina & Kosterman, Rick & Bailey, Jennifer A. & Catalano, Richard F., 2015. "Unemployment and substance use problems among young adults: Does childhood low socioeconomic status exacerbate the effect?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 143(C), pages 36-44.
- Roelfs, David J. & Shor, Eran & Davidson, Karina W. & Schwartz, Joseph E., 2011. "Losing life and livelihood: A systematic review and meta-analysis of unemployment and all-cause mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(6), pages 840-854, March.
- Ioana Popovici & Michael T. French, 2013. "Does Unemployment Lead to Greater Alcohol Consumption?," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 444-466, April.
- Cerdá, Magdalena & Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki D. & Galea, Sandro, 2011. "Lifetime income patterns and alcohol consumption: Investigating the association between long- and short-term income trajectories and drinking," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(8), pages 1178-1185.
- Yana C. Vierboom, 2020. "Trends in Alcohol-Related Mortality by Educational Attainment in the U.S., 2000–2017," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 39(1), pages 77-97, February.
- Latif, Ehsan, 2014. "The impact of recession on drinking and smoking behaviours in Canada," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 43-56.
- Rosenthal, Lisa & Carroll-Scott, Amy & Earnshaw, Valerie A. & Santilli, Alycia & Ickovics, Jeannette R., 2012. "The importance of full-time work for urban adults' mental and physical health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(9), pages 1692-1696.
- Mossakowski, Krysia N., 2011. "Unfulfilled expectations and symptoms of depression among young adults," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(5), pages 729-736, September.
- Reinhard Schunck & Benedikt Rogge, 2010. "Unemployment and its association with health-relevant actions: investigating the role of time perspective with German census data," International Journal of Public Health, Springer;Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+), vol. 55(4), pages 271-278, August.
More about this item
KeywordsHeavy drinking Young adulthood Poverty duration Unemployment USA Alcohol;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:67:y:2008:i:6:p:947-955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.