A logistics model for emergency supply of critical items in the aftermath of a disaster
This paper proposes a logistics model for delivery of prioritized items in disaster relief operations. It considers multi-items, multi-vehicles, multi-periods, soft time windows, and a split delivery strategy scenario, and is formulated as a multi-objective integer programming model. To effectively solve this model we limit the number of available tours. Two heuristic approaches are introduced for this purpose. The first approach is based on a genetic algorithm, while the second approach is developed by decomposing the original problem. We compare these two approaches via a computational study. The multi-objective problem is converted to a single-objective problem by the weighted sum method. A case study is presented to illustrate the potential applicability of our model. Also, presented is a comparison of our model with that proposed in a recent paper by Balcik etÂ al. . The results show that our proposed model outperforms theirs in terms of delivering prioritized items over several time periods.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Archetti, Claudia & Savelsbergh, Martin W.P. & Grazia Speranza, M., 2008. "To split or not to split: That is the question," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 114-123, January.
- Robert F. Love & James G. Morris, 1979. "Mathematical Models of Road Travel Distances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 130-139, February.
- Ioannou, George & Kritikos, Manolis & Prastacos, Gregory, 2003. "A problem generator-solver heuristic for vehicle routing with soft time windows," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 41-53, February.
- Jin, Mingzhou & Liu, Kai & Bowden, Royce O., 2007. "A two-stage algorithm with valid inequalities for the split delivery vehicle routing problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 228-242, January.
- Angelelli, Enrico & Grazia Speranza, Maria, 2002. "The periodic vehicle routing problem with intermediate facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 233-247, March.
- Jotshi, Arun & Gong, Qiang & Batta, Rajan, 2009. "Dispatching and routing of emergency vehicles in disaster mitigation using data fusion," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Mourgaya, M. & Vanderbeck, F., 2007. "Column generation based heuristic for tactical planning in multi-period vehicle routing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1028-1041, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:45:y:2011:i:4:p:132-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.