Comparing two territory partitions in districting problems: Indices and practical issues
Planning as part of public sector decision-making situations is an activity of critical importance, with direct relevance for urban planners. The ramifications of such decisions generally have significant effect on peoples' lives. The current paper deals with the comparison between territorial maps in the context of districting problems with a strong socio-economic component. The theoretical problem involves the comparison of two partitions in a connected, undirected, and planar graph. In considering this problem, we introduce three new indices to compare territory partitions: compatibility, inclusion, and distance, all of which have importance for real-world planning situations. Numerical experiments of these indices were carried out for the communes network in (I^le de France), France.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roy J. Shanker & Ronald E. Turner & Andris A. Zoltners, 1975. "Sales Territory Design: An Integrated Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 309-320, November.
- R. S. Garfinkel & G. L. Nemhauser, 1970. "Optimal Political Districting by Implicit Enumeration Techniques," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(8), pages B495-B508, April.
- Bozkaya, Burcin & Erkut, Erhan & Laporte, Gilbert, 2003. "A tabu search heuristic and adaptive memory procedure for political districting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 12-26, January.
- Sidney W. Hess & Stuart A. Samuels, 1971. "Experiences with a Sales Districting Model: Criteria and Implementation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4-Part-II), pages P41-P54, December.
- Anuj Mehrotra & Ellis L. Johnson & George L. Nemhauser, 1998. "An Optimization Based Heuristic for Political Districting," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(8), pages 1100-1114, August.
- Andris A. Zoltners & Prabhakant Sinha, 1983. "Sales Territory Alignment: A Review and Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(11), pages 1237-1256, November.
- Kyungchul Park & Kyungsik Lee & Sungsoo Park & Heesang Lee, 2000. "Telecommunication Node Clustering with Node Compatibility and Network Survivability Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 363-374, March.
- Muyldermans, L. & Cattrysse, D. & Van Oudheusden, D. & Lotan, T., 2002. "Districting for salt spreading operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(3), pages 521-532, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:43:y:2009:i:1:p:72-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.